Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Hello everyone,

I am quite confused with the comma in these sentences.

I believe that, despite have lots of problems, it seems rather good car to drive.

A decade ago, ..... , whereas nowadays, .....

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone,

I am quite confused with the comma in these sentences.

I believe that, despite have lots of problems, it seems rather good car to drive.

A decade ago, ..... , whereas nowadays, .....

The first sentence is badly written anyway. Putting "I believe that" with "it seems" is pointless, almost tautologous. Either "I believe that it is a rather good car to drive" or "It seems to be a rather good car to drive". If we ignore that problem and change the end of the sentence but keep the comma segment (correcting the error in that part too), we get:

I believe that, despite having lots of problems, it is a rather good car to drive.

If we remove "despite having lots of problems", we are left with "I believe that it is a rather good car to drive". The part between the commas is extra information which can be removed but still leaves a perfectly comprehensible sentence.

Your second example is difficult to comment on because you haven't posted a whole sentence. Please give us a complete sentence to work with.

saloom2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
So, the commas are always used to express extra information, much like the relative pronouns, right?

The second one " A decade ago, the internet was practically anonymous to almost everyone ,whereas nowadays, it's become the most powerful tool for people.

Status
Not open for further replies.