Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Mexico
Current Location
Mexico
A written communication is often closed with a kind line sending regards. In Spanish this has become common practice even in non-personal communications (v.g. professional or commercial). However, I am trying to get a better understanding of how this works in English.
I usually use expressions such as: Kind regards, warm regards, best regards or even just "regards". I have always assumed that this is OK, but will certainly appreciate any comments.
My real question is when you are sending a greeting to someone different from the recipient (such as a colleage or common friend). Is it OK to say "Please give my regards to X"?
Thanks!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Send my regards to X" is formal.

"Say hi to X for me" is informal.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But I would not use that as the closing of my communication!

In a personal note, you can end with "My best to you and your family" or something similar, but even in a personal letter, I wouldn't end with a sentiment to someone else. That could be the second to last sentence instead.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
My real question is when you are sending a greeting to someone different from the recipient (such as a colleage or common friend). Is it OK to say "Please give my regards to X"?

This is fine, but like Barb_D I would add a sentence after it to close the letter with regards to the recipient.

Status
Not open for further replies.