English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi teachers,
This is what the students listen to, 'The Inspector waited, and the Chief of Police looked him coldly.'
They have to answer, 'She looked at him coldly.'

Could this be the appropriate question?
'What did the Chief of Police do while the inspector waited?'

Thanks in advance

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi teachers,
This is what the students listen to, 'The Inspector waited, and the Chief of Police looked at him coldly.'
They have to answer, 'She looked at him coldly.'

Could this be the appropriate question?
'What did the Chief of Police do while the inspector waited?'

Thanks in advance

Your question is fine although, if I were being very picky, I might point out that "The Inspector waited and the Chief ..." doesn't necessarily show that the two things happened at the same time, whereas using "while" in your question does suggest that.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
So, should I change the question and ask them, 'How did the Chief of Police look at him?'
Is there another wasy to connect the two sentences, without using 'while'?

The Inspector waited, and the Chief of Police looked at him coldly.' Sorry about this digital mistake, but mine anyway.:oops:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,
Thank you for your reply.
So, should I change the question and ask them, 'How did the Chief of Police look at him?'
Is there another wasy to connect the two sentences, without using 'while'?

The Inspector waited, and the Chief of Police looked at him coldly.' Sorry about this digital mistake, but mine anyway.:oops:

Perhaps simply "How did the Chief of Police look at the Inspector and what did the Inspector do?" That way they have to find two separate pieces of information but put them in the opposite order to the way they're heard in the piece.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Perhaps simply "How did the Chief of Police look at the Inspector and what did the Inspector do?" That way they have to find two separate pieces of information but put them in the opposite order to the way they're heard in the piece.

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. One more question please. Why should I put them in the opposite order? Just to make it more difficult to them! Then the effort is bigger, isn't it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,
Thank you for your reply. One more question please. Why should I put them in the opposite order? Just to make it more difficult to them! Then the effort is bigger, isn't it?

Exactly!! Challenge them. If the answer is right there in the piece and is easy to find then make the answer slightly more difficult to construct.

learning54

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
Exactly!! Challenge them. If the answer is right there in the piece and is easy to find then make the answer slightly more difficult to construct.
Hi,
Thank you for your reply. It's a good idea. Even though the exercise is for listening.

This is the exercise for this very sentence.

How did the Chief of Police look at the Inspector and what did the Inspector do?
_______ ___________ _____ him ___________,and _____ ___________.

This is what they will have to write:
She looked at him coldly,and he waited.

This is what they will listen to:
The Inspector waited, and the Chief of Police looked at him coldly.
Information to consider: They already know the Chief of Police is a woman and the Inspector a man.

Status
Not open for further replies.