Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Switzerland
"My wife, Elin, acted courageously when she saw I was hurt and in trouble."

Would you have set off "Elin" with commas? Some people argue that it's not necessary on the theory that we live in a monogomous society and the assumption that we have only one spouse is thus a safe one.

Thanks.

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Would you have set off "Elin" with commas? Some people argue that it's not necessary on the theory that we live in a monogomous society and the assumption that we have only one spouse is thus a safe one.

Thanks.

That goes back to a similar thread I started a few weeks ago. Corum posted this useful link on restrictive and non-restrictive appositives:
Appositives: Restrictive and Non-restrictive - Grammar, Punctuation, and Style - kwizNET Math/Science/English Homeschool/Afterschool/Tutoring Lessons/Worksheets/Quizzes/Trivia

To me, you only have one wife so giving the name isn't restrictive; it's parenthetic, like saying 'whose name is Elin', so I'd use commas.

Mind you I'm still not clear. The only appositive I can think of right now is one I really don't know how best to punctuate:

The goalkeeper, Rob Green, was guilty of a howler
The goalkeeper, Rob Green was guilty of a howler
The goalkeeper Rob Green was guilty of a howler

[excuse the italics - can't seem to deitalicise]

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

Thanks.
We don't all live in the same society.
In any case, the argument you refer to would indicate that you don't need to dispense with commas. It's only in non-monogamous societies that you'd have to write "My wife Elin ...", just as we'd normally write "my brother Jack" to distinguish him from "my brother Enrico".

Status
Not open for further replies.