Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Is the sentence in blue correct grammatically? Do you think that it should be "go on par with that"? Because we should use "do" after "make", am I correct?

This is from an American TV program,

Karl: Oh. So you were jealous?
Susan: No! No! It's just... we were married. And...and she's trying to make this tawdry little affair you guys have going on par with that. It's just... I got mad.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Is the sentence in blue correct grammatically? Do you think that it should be "go on par with that"? Because we should use "do" after "make", am I correct?

Susan: No! No! It's just... we were married. And...and she's trying to make this tawdry little affair you guys have going on par with that. It's just... I got mad.

That's quite acceptable.

Q: What do they have?
A: An affair.
Q: What kind of affair?
A: A tawdry little affair going on par with something else.

They have an affair that is going on par with something else.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

No, 'going' belongs to 'affair'. "They have an affair going [on] which she is trying to put (or 'make') on par with a real marriage."
The 'on' could belong to either "going on" or "on a par".

What's going on here?
We're having an affair.
They are having an affair going on, or they have an affair going.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Raymott,

doesn't on here belong to on a par only?

I don't read it that way. The affair is going on. She is trying to make it par with "that."

It's not particularly well written.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

I agree that it's not very well written. As far as I'm concerned, there would have to be two "on"s - one for "going on" and one for "on [a] par with".

She's trying to make this tawdry little affair you guys have going on on a par with that.

By the way, are you sure that's from an American TV program? I only ask because Karl and Susan are a couple (surname Kennedy) in "Neighbours", and those two lines sound entirely as if they could be from a storyline which involved them. "Neighbours" is Australian.

Status
Not open for further replies.