Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
As i know,the present simple is very general.The action, event is happen in the past,present,and also the future.
for example: She likes playing video-games (It's a fact,and it's true,she likes playing video-games in the past,present,future)
I just noticed the lyrics for my favorite song (Boulevard of broken dreams - green day) ,it says:
"Sometimes i wish someone out there will find me
Till then i walk alone"
So he walks alone until someone finds him,right?
"he walks alone" is in the present simple,meaning it's true in the past,present,and the future,but until someone finds him ,so someone finds him in the future so at that moment ,he will stop walking alone,also means that it stop at that time in the future?so can the present simple apply to this sentence ?
Please explain for me :) ,THANKS ALOT!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
As I [STRIKE]know[/STRIKE] understand it, the present simple is very general. The action or event is [STRIKE]happen[/STRIKE] true in the past, present (no comma here) and also the future.
For example: She likes playing video-games (It's a fact (no comma here) and it's true. She likes playing video-games in the past, present and future.)
I just noticed the lyrics for my favorite song (Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Green Day) (no comma here) [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]says[/STRIKE] say:
"Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me
Till then I walk alone"

So he walks alone until someone finds him, right?

"He walks alone" is in the present simple, meaning it's true in the past, present (no comm here) and the future, but until someone finds him. So if someone finds him in the future, [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] at that moment (no comma here) he will stop walking alone, also means that it will stop at that time in the future? So can the present simple apply to this sentence?

[STRIKE]Please explain for me :) ,THANKS ALOT![/STRIKE]
Please explain it to me. Thanks a lot.

Firstly, remember that song lyrics are frequently ungrammatical and they should not be used to help you study correct English. In this instance, the "correct" English is "Sometimes, I wish someone out there would find me". The future form "will" is not used with "to wish". However, these are song lyrics and the writer chose to write it that way.

I find your definition of the present simple as something being true in the past, present and future 1) far too simplistic and 2) not correct.

If I say "I like apples" then the only thing you know is that I like apples right now. It is possible that yesterday I did not like apples. In two weeks' time, you might ask me again and I might say "No, I've gone off apples. I don't like them anymore".

If I say "I go to the cinema every Tuesday", you know that I have definitely gone to the cinema for several Tuesdays in recent times and that I think that the likelihood is that I will probably continue to go to the cinema every Tuesday. However, you do not know that it has always been true in the past or that it will be true in the future.

Please see my corrections to your post in red. Please follow the rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, exclamation mark or question mark.
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, exclamation mark or question mark.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Firstly, remember that song lyrics are frequently ungrammatical and they should not be used to help you study correct English. In this instance, the "correct" English is "Sometimes, I wish someone out there would find me". The future form "will" is not used with "to wish". However, these are song lyrics and the writer chose to write it that way.

I find your definition of the present simple as something being true in the past, present and future 1) far too simplistic and 2) not correct.

If I say "I like apples" then the only thing you know is that I like apples right now. It is possible that yesterday I did not like apples. In two weeks' time, you might ask me again and I might say "No, I've gone off apples. I don't like them anymore".

If I say "I go to the cinema every Tuesday", you know that I have definitely gone to the cinema for several Tuesdays in recent times and that I think that the likelihood is that I will probably continue to go to the cinema every Tuesday. However, you do not know that it has always been true in the past or that it will be true in the future.

Please see my corrections to your post in red. Please follow the rules of written English at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- End every sentence with a single appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, exclamation mark or question mark.
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, exclamation mark or question mark.

Thanks a lot, teacher!
Can you help me to define when the present simple is used? please simplify it if you can. :)
again, THANKS!

Status
Not open for further replies.