[General] Instead of 'Yours faithfully', what should we write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

write2subhayu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
While writing a formal letter to my boss, I use the phrase 'yours faithfully' to end the letter. But what should I write instead of that in the following cases:

1. While writing a formal letter to the manager of a bank or shop where I am a customer?

2. While writing a formal letter to may client?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
While writing a formal letter to my boss, I use the phrase 'yours faithfully' to end the letter. But what should I write instead of that in the following cases:

1. While writing a formal letter to the manager of a bank or shop where I am a customer?

2. While writing a formal letter to may client?

If you are writing any kind of formal or business letter which begins with "Dear Sir/Madam" then "Yours faithfully" is the correct ending.

If you start the letter with "Dear + recipient's name" then "Yours sincerely" is the correct ending.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In AmE, the following are standard/acceptable complimentary closings used in business letters:

Sincerely,
Sincerely yours,
Very truly yours,
Regards,
Best regards,
Respectfully,
Cordially,

"Yours faithfully" is very rarely used as a complimentary closing in business correspondence in the US. If you are writing to a bank or shop where you are a customer, I would suggest "sincerely", "best regards" or "respectfully". If you are writing to a long-time client with whom you have a personal relationship "faithfully yours" might be acceptable; otherwise, "very truly yours", "cordially" or "sincerely yours" are appropriate choices.

write2subhayu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
If you are writing any kind of formal or business letter which begins with "Dear Sir/Madam" then "Yours faithfully" is the correct ending.

If you start the letter with "Dear + recipient's name" then "Yours sincerely" is the correct ending.

When I am writing a letter to the bank manager and I am a client of that bank, is it logical to write 'Yours faithfully'? Because, in this case, the bank is supposed to be faithful to me, I am not obliged to be faithful to the bank, isn't it?

write2subhayu

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
In AmE, the following are standard/acceptable complimentary closings used in business letters:

Sincerely,
Sincerely yours,
Very truly yours,
Regards,
Best regards,
Respectfully,
Cordially,

"Yours faithfully" is very rarely used as a complimentary closing in business correspondence in the US. If you are writing to a bank or shop where you are a customer, I would suggest "sincerely", "best regards" or "respectfully". If you are writing to a long-time client with whom you have a personal relationship "faithfully yours" might be acceptable; otherwise, "very truly yours", "cordially" or "sincerely yours" are appropriate choices.

I think this is more logical.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I think this is more logical.
It's not really a question of being more logical; it's just the way it's done in America. Few people actually think about the meaning of the words - they are just polite formulae.

Status
Not open for further replies.