English Teacher
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Hi,

I live using games in my lessons and I think it is important to get the students moving, especially the ons who are kinaesthetic learners. I am looking for a game or activity I can use when teaching prepositions of time (ON Monday, AT noon, IN June, DURING the summer). Do you have any ideas?

Thank You,

Tamar

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There's one I remember from my childhood, which exercised only two of those. You draw a circle on the ground, which represents a pond. The participants stand round it, and a caller repeats the commands 'in the pond' and 'on the bank'. Everyone jumps back and forth. After a while the caller says either 'on the pond' or 'in the bank', and anyone who moves is 'out' or 'loses a life' or whatever forfeit you choose to impose.

You could perhaps develop something along these lines...:-?

b

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
A fun game. Bob, but tgwolpert was asking about prepositions of time.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Touché - missed that. I was skimming, and just picked up the prepositions.

OK - make the layout more like hopscotch (rayuela). Days are squares. Students have to hop to the appropriate square, with any accompanying hand gestures the teacher can think of (index finger pointing down for IN, forearm extended across chest with outstretched hand for DURING...). (Not so good for a big class.

Status
Not open for further replies.