[General] Could the black smoke stanch his wounds?(From the English Patient)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sherishine

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"Two guards, the woman, Tommasoni, the telephones ringing, ringing, interrupting Tommasoni, who would put down the razor, caustically whisper Excuse me and pick up the phone with his bloody hand and listen. He had, he thought, said nothing of worth to them. But they let him go, so perhaps he was wrong.

Then he had walked along the Via di Santo Spirito to the one geographical location he had hidden away in his brain. Walked past Brunelleschi’s church towards the library of the German Institute, where he knew a certain person would look after him.Suddenly he realized this was why they had let him go. Letting him walk freely would fool him into revealing this contact. He arced into a side street, not looking back, never looking back. He wanted a street fire so he could stanch his wounds, hang them
over the smoke from a tar cauldron so black smoke would envelop his hands. He was on the Santa Trinita Bridge."

PS His hands had already been cut off by the German officer.

My question is , why he needed a street fire to stanch his wounds?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Could it be the only likely source of fire?

sherishine

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Since there was a warfare nearby, I think "the street fire" could be an available source; yet I still can't understand why he needed the street fire, could it really stanch his wounds on hands?

sherishine

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks for the answer!

Status
Not open for further replies.