Student or Learner
Form pairs.
Close your eyes and put your
finger on any letter.
Open your eyes.
Now, each one of you has one letters.
So, each pair has two letters.
Write as many words as you can.

Could you tell me why the comma has been put in after "now" and "so" in this context? I have learnt that we should not put comma for a single word, from my previous threads.

Teia

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Form pairs.
Close your eyes and put your
finger on any letter.
Open your eyes.
Now, each one of you has one letters.
So, each pair has two letters.
Write as many words as you can.

Could you tell me why the comma has been put in after "now" and "so" in this context? I have learnt that we should not put comma for a single word, from my previous threads.

We put a comma after introductory words ; now introduces your sentence

"An adverb or adverb phrase that begins a sentence must be followed by a comma if it serves as a link to the previous sentence."

"She believed he had the talent to succeed. Unfortunately, he was lazy."
source:English 2126: Modern English Grammar: The Punctuation Handbook

You have two previous sentences-Close your eyes and put your finger on any letter. Open your eyes.] before the sentence starting with now:Now, each one of you has one letter.

Furthermore, some grammarians say that the comma is optional for the following adverbs: then, so, yet. Example:
Then, she ran upstairs. Then she ran upstairs.
Punctuation - Comma (,) - Grade 5 - English Language - kwizNET Math/Science/English Homeschool/Afterschool/Tutoring Lessons/Worksheets/Quizzes/Trivia

My opinion : It is usual to use a comma when an adverb is used as an introduction to a sentence.

Teia

Last edited:

user_gary

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you friend.

You are asking same questions again and again, wasting posts.

Could you tell me why here comma is used?

Teia

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Thank you friend.

You are asking same questions again and again, wasting posts.

Could you tell me why here comma is used?

Hi
You are welcome.

I haven`t asked any questions, have I? I simply tried to answer your question. Have you read my answer?

Here is the answer again :

We put a comma after introductory words ; now introduces your sentence.

"An adverb or adverb phrase that begins a sentence must be followed by a comma if it serves as a link to the previous sentence."
I consider I`m not wasting any posts if I want to help somebody by answering his/her questions. I take this forum seriously and I try to be of help as much as I can.
I don`t understand your comment :You are asking same questions again and again, wasting posts. Is this a polite way of receiving an answer to your question?
Could you explain that to me? What questions am I asking and what posts am I exactly wasting?:-?

Regards

Last edited:

user_gary

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Hmm....... You have misunderstood my question. It's just a sentence which I saw in another thread, and I want to learn why "comma" has been put in after "again" i.e. before "wasting posts" here (You are asking same questions again and again, wasting posts).

Sorry, if I hurt you in any way. I will be always grateful to you, as you are like a Guru to me.

Last edited:

Teia

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Hmm....... You have misunderstood my question. It's just a sentence which I saw in another thread, and I want to learn why "comma" has been put in after "again" i.e. before "wasting posts" here (You are asking same questions again and again, wasting posts).

Sorry, if I hurt you in any way. I will be always grateful to you, as you are like a Guru to me.

Hi Gary

I`m sorry ,too, but you should have explained to me what you wanted to know related to that sentence. No problem. I think I know the answer to that sentence :

"8. Use commas to set off phrases at the end of the sentence that refer back to the beginning or middle of the sentence. Such phrases are free modifiers that can be placed anywhere in the sentence without causing confusion. (If the placement of the modifier causes confusion, then it is not "free" and must remain "bound" to the word it modifies.)

1. Nancy waved enthusiastically at the docking ship, laughing joyously. (correct)
2a. Lisa waved at Nancy, laughing joyously. (incorrect: Who is laughing, Lisa or Nancy?)
2b. Laughing joyously, Lisa waved at Nancy. (correct)
2c. Lisa waved at Nancy, who was laughing joyously. (correct)"

source : Using Commas

Your sentence : You are asking same questions again and again, wasting posts).[/B] should sound:
You are asking the same questions again and again ; thus, you are wasting posts. , or
You are asking the same questions again and again, and you are wasting posts.
The sentences above might sound too pretentious ,so, the writer wanted to shorten the sentence and avoid wasting time, I think.

I appologize for being so tough with you but I thought it was a comment, not a question related to that sentence

All the best
Teia

P.S. I am only a teacher of English [ still studying English] and I have to admit that I sometimes make mistakes, even though unintentionally.:lol:

Last edited:

user_gary

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you very much.

I appologize for being so tough with you but I thought it was a comment, not a question related to that sentence

Just now I have learnt, from your explanation and links, that we should put comma before co-ordinating conjunctions. But in your above sentence you haven't put comman before "but". Could you tell why is it so?

Teia

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Thank you very much.

Just now I have learnt, from your explanation and links, that we should put comma before co-ordinating conjunctions. But in your above sentence you haven't put comman before "but". Could you tell why is it so?

You are most welcome!
I forgot to put a comma. When I am in a hurry, I sometimes don`t use commas or other punctuations marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.