It's morality values/aspect, improve the law systems, improve human rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jit833

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Canada
1)In order to be a nation, the country need to improve it's morality values/aspect, improve the law systems, improve human rights, improve transparency, reduce corruptions and exercised freedom of speech.

2) Everybody is judging him from moral and ethical aspects.

* Are the above sentences correct?

I am going to have a group discussion for my history class next week and I am not sure how I should write the above sentences correctly. I really hope somebody can assist me. Thanks. :)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In order to be a nation, the country need to improve
it's morality values/aspect, improve the law systems, improve human rights, improve transparency, reduce corruptions and exercised freedom of speech.

I don't think any of those are necessary to be a "nation."

The country needs to improve its [note, no apostrophe] values, iits law systems [or, "the rule of law"], its respect for human rights and transparency. It also needs to reduce its corruption [note, not plural] and support free speech for its citizens.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1)

2) Everybody is judging him from moral and ethical aspects.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

1. First, good luck on your group discussion.

2. I think that I understand the meaning of that sentence.

a. I think that your meaning is something like:

Everybody / Many people / The public is judging him.
They are applying moral and ethical standards to their judgment of him.

Am I right? (By the way, I think that I may know who "he" is, but -- of course -- I shan't name "him.")

3. If my reading is correct, then maybe you could consider something like this for your discussion:

The public [which actually means "most" of the public] is applying moral and ethical standards in their judgment of him.

He is being judged by the public in accordance with moral and ethical standards.

James

Jit833

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Canada

I don't think any of those are necessary to be a "nation."

The country needs to improve its [note, no apostrophe] values, iits law systems [or, "the rule of law"], its respect for human rights and transparency. It also needs to reduce its corruption [note, not plural] and support free speech for its citizens.

[/B]

Thanks SoothingDave for replying to my post. I really appreciate it. My group discussion went really well. I have learned a new way of saying freedom of speech from you, which is free speech. :)

Jit833

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Canada
***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

1. First, good luck on your group discussion.

2. I think that I understand the meaning of that sentence.

a. I think that your meaning is something like:

Everybody / Many people / The public is judging him.
They are applying moral and ethical standards to their judgment of him.

Am I right? (By the way, I think that I may know who "he" is, but -- of course -- I shan't name "him.")

3. If my reading is correct, then maybe you could consider something like this for your discussion:

The public [which actually means "most" of the public] is applying moral and ethical standards in their judgment of him.

He is being judged by the public in accordance with moral and ethical standards.

James

Thanks for replying TheParser. My group discussion went really well :). Yes, you have understood my sentence correctly. That is what I wanted to express but I don't seem to be able to figure out how to express it like the way you did. Thanks for teaching me how to say it in the proper way.

Status
Not open for further replies.