Is the usage of "may" correct in the given sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit3034

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Germany
Kindly place the execution file on live system so that it may be tested.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Kindly place the execution file on live system so that it may be tested.
I guess this means something like "Upload the executable file onto the system so that it may be tested."
Yes, the usage of 'may' is correct.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
What about the usage of "kindly"? It seems unnatural to me. I'd use please or some other polite way of asking.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
What about the usage of "kindly"? It seems unnatural to me. I'd use please or some other polite way of asking.

It's fine with "kindly".

bit3034

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Germany
Thanx Buddy

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

charliedeut

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain

Hi CarloSsS,

Haven't you noticed this expression is mainly used by member from Asia? I guess they just use the translation of their commom addressing formula.

charliedeut

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi CarloSsS,

Haven't you noticed this expression is mainly used by member from Asia? I guess they just use the translation of their commom addressing formula.

charliedeut

Yes, I have. That is why I asked. I don't have any recollection of hearing kindly used like that. I also think that it's a literal translation, but apparently it's all right to use kindly like that. Here kindly - Definition and pronunciation | Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com -- the second usage would correspond and it. No wonder I've never heard it used like that, according to OALD it's old-fashioned and formal at that.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Your thanks are appreciated, bit3034, but please don't use "text speak" on the forum.

Is writing "Buddy" with capital "B" all right, or did you just overlook it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's fine with "kindly".
This is one of the rare times when I disagree with bhai. For me, 'kindly' has overtones of impatience, annoyance or an authoritarian stance.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This is one of the rare times when I disagree with bhai. For me, 'kindly' has overtones of impatience, annoyance or an authoritarian stance.

That is what OALD (kindly - Definition and pronunciation | Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary at OxfordLearnersDictionaries.com) says about the usage of kindly in such contexts, but it also gives this example sentences:

Kindly leave me alone! (Here, the speaker is clearly annoyed)
Visitors are kindly requested to sign the book. (I think that this is a case of just politely asking to sign the book).

Macmillan Dictionary states that kindly can also be used for making polite requests, here kindly - definition of kindly by Macmillan Dictionary -- 2.a.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Visitors are kindly requested to sign the book. (I think that this is a case of just politely asking to sign the book)
This falls into my 'authoritarian stance' category. The 'kindly' softens it, but it's an order, [/QUOTE]Macmillan Dictionary states that kindly can also be used for making polite requests, here kindly - definition of kindly by Macmillan Dictionary -- 2.a.[/QUOTE]Yes indeed, definition 2.a. The main definition, 2, is: formal: used for asking someone to do something, especially when you are trying to hide the fact that you are annoyd. This request may not be hiding annoyance, but is is a formal, firm request - a polite order.

Well, that's my opinion.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

I do see your point. I'm probably influenced by the amount of time I have spent with speakers of Indian English.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I do see your point. I'm probably influenced by the amount of time I have spent with speakers of Indian English.
I'm the same here in Prague with 'Important is (that)...'. Influenced by hundreds of Czech students and colleagues (some of who speak very good English indeed), I have found myself saying that, rather than 'What is important is ...' or 'The important thing is ...'. :oops:. I have also been known to tell colleagues who ask what I am doing at the weekend, "I'm going on the cottage in the nature". :oops::oops:.

The difference is that 'Kindly', meaning 'please', is not horribly wrong in British English, but the two expressions I use, especially the second, are.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have also been known to tell colleagues who ask what I am doing at the weekend, "I'm going on the cottage in the nature". :oops::oops:.

You did? Really? :) That's typical Czenglish that I hear from Czech learners all the time.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
You did? Really? :) That's typical Czenglish that I hear from Czech learners all the time.

As a Czech teacher of English, you will almost certainly be so conscious of this non-English that you would never say it yourself. As a native speaker of English, I think I am, paradoxically, more prone to such slips, especially at the end of a long, hard day. I would never let my learners get away with it; the teacher part of my brain was too powerful for that. However, it was always keeping my ears pricked for learner errors, and occasionally didn't spot my own.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
. . . 'Kindly', meaning 'please', is not horribly wrong in British English. . .

I've said it before, and I'll say it again—I use 'kindly', meaning 'please' occasionally, and don't consider it to be even slightly wrong.

Rover

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've said it before, and I'll say it again—I use 'kindly', meaning 'please' occasionally, and don't consider it to be even slightly wrong.

Rover

As with most things, when spoken it entirely depends on your tone of voice. If I heard "Kindly remove your feet from my chair!" in a stern voice, I would assume it was being used in an authoritarian manner. If someone said "Would you kindly open that window for me [please]?" I would consider it a) correct and b) perfectly polite.

Status
Not open for further replies.