Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
We know that "would" can be used in place of "used to do". Like when we were kids we "used to" or "would" go there. Can "would" be used with "ing" while being used for the past? Like "when I was working at the ABC company I would be standing in my boss's cabine every second day."

Please check.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
We know that "would" can be used in place of "used to do", [STRIKE]Like[/STRIKE] as in "when we were kids we used to (or would) go there." Can "would" be used with "ing" while being used for the past? [STRIKE]Like[/STRIKE] For example, "when I was working at the ABC company, I would be standing in my boss's cabin every second day."

Please check.

I'm not sure what that example sentence means, but the short answer is, yes it can.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What do you think a "cabine" is?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I'm not sure what that example sentence means, but the short answer is, yes it can.

Second sentence means "when I was working at ABC company my boss used to call me to his cabine every second day to scold me over productivity."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A room where manager sits separately.

That might be the right word in another language but it's not used in English. I would simply expect it to be called "the manager's office".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
That might be the right word in another language but it's not used in English. I would simply expect it to be called "the manager's office".

"when I was working at the ABC company I would be standing in my manager's office every second day."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"when I was working at the ABC company I would be standing in my manager's office every second day."

Do I really have to remind you that the first word of any sentence must be capitalised?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Do I really have to remind you that the first word of any sentence must be capitalised?

"When I was working at the ABC company I would be standing in my manager's office every second day."

Sorry, it happened because of my phone.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your phone does whatever you tell it to. Contrary to popular belief, phones don't have a mind of their own. If your phone constantly uncapitalises the first letter of each sentence, I suggest you take the phone to have it repaired.

Status
Not open for further replies.