Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I refer to an old thread in relation to the pronunciation of the word "clothes".

I have copied an extract for the ease of your reference.

Can you please give me an idea of what the symbol [l] in "Some people pronounce 'th' as [l], like this: " is.

Thank you.

Originally Posted by harrymick
Dear sir:

I was wondering How you pronounce 'clothes', if you will bite your tongue's top for pronouncing the 'th' before the 'es'. or you won't pronounce the 'es'?
I agree. clothes and close, as in Please, close the door, are pronounced the same:

I have new clothes [klo:z].
Please, close [klo:z] the door.

(Note, close, as in We are very close friends, is pronounced with an , not [z]: close [klo:s])

Some people pronounce 'th' as [l], like this:

clothes [klo:lz]

Some people pronounce 'th' as a voiced sound, like in the word that:

clothes [klo:]th[z].

Some non-native English speakers pronounce the '-es' in clothes as

clothes [klo:]th[i:z]

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In everyday AmE pronunciation, in my opinion, "clothes" = "close".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That is true for the noun "clothes". The verb has a different pronunciation. The "th" is pronounced in the verb.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I refer to an old thread in relation to the pronunciation of the word "clothes".

Can you please give me an idea of what the symbol [l] in "Some people pronounce 'th' as [l], like this: " is.
clothes [klo:lz]
Thank you.
It looks like a typo. It is the same symbol as the one after /k/. He's written "cloles".
By the way, in BrE and AusE, clothes usually keeps the 'th'.

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Thank you,

I was trying to google pronunciation of clothes like [klo:lz] i.e. using l (like l in "lemon"?) but failed. I am wondering what native speakers pronounce in such a manner? Many thanks?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you,

I was trying to google pronunciation of clothes like [klo:lz] i.e. using l (like l in "lemon"?) but failed. I am wondering what native speakers pronounce in such a manner? Many thanks?
How do you mean? It's a typographical error (a typo). Native speakers don't pronounce [klo:lz], and if they did, it would be, well, [klo:lz], as in 'cloles'. There's little call for pronouncing it because it's not an English word - this applies to a lot of typos.

Maybe I didn't explain "typographical error" well enough. It's when you type something you don't mean. It's a mental slip (usually) - occasionally a physical one - but here it has the quality of perseveration from the first [l]. The author did not intend to write [klo:lz].

Status
Not open for further replies.