Starting a sentence with a gerund or infinitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I am trying to rephrase the following sentence in the form of sentences A and B. Which one is grammatical and more idiomatic?
"I gathered more information and took many factors into account to narrow down the available possibilities."

A-"To narrow down the available possibilities, I gathered more information and took many factors into account"
B-"Narrowing down the available possibilities, I gathered more information and took many factors into account"

Thanks a lot.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If the reason you gathered the information was to narrow the possibilities, use the first.

The second suggest you narrowed before you started to gather.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am trying to rephrase the following sentence in the form of sentences A and B. Which one is grammatical and more idiomatic?
"I gathered more information and took many factors into account to narrow down the available possibilities."

A-"To narrow down the available possibilities, I gathered more information and took many factors into account"
B-"Narrowing down the available possibilities, I gathered more information and took many factors into account"

Thanks a lot.

In your sentence B, "narrowing" is a participle, not a gerund.

Ryan.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In your sentence B, "narrowing" is a participle, not a gerund.
Thanks a lot. Could you give me some more information about the difference of them?

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks a lot. Could you give me some more information about the difference of them?

Both present participles and gerunds are -ing forms of verbs. Gerunds are used as nouns, present participles are used as modifiers. There is a lot of information available on the Internet if you Google those words.

Status
Not open for further replies.