[Vocabulary] Flash cards or reading books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

needer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Netherlands
Since we all know how important it is to read and use new worlds in context.
Which method really is effective?
To read a book and look up new worlds and the reread it several times
or
To put new worlds in flash card software and just review them?

Pangus

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Both!

The more different ways you learn something, the better you understand and more likely you are to remember. Of course you are right that you must use them in context so that they stick long-term.

How about this - read a page/chapter of a book noting down any new words - put the words in your flashcard software - with your flashcard software don't just translate the word on its own - find example sentences online and put a blank/space where the word is - use the sentence from the book too - make up your own sentences with each word and if possible have someone check they're correct. You could even try to make up a story using every word. When you think you know them, try reading again.

Learn a word in as many different contexts as possible using as many different methods as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

needer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Netherlands
Both!

The more different ways you learn something, the better you understand and more likely you are to remember. Of course you are right that you must use them in context so that they stick long-term.

How about this - read a page/chapter of a book noting down any new words - put the words in your flashcard software - with your flashcard software don't just translate the word on its own - find example sentences online and put a blank/space where the word is - use the sentence from the book too - make up your own sentences with each word and if possible have someone check they're correct. You could even try to make up a story using every word. When you think you know them, try reading again.

Learn a word in as many different contexts as possible using as many different methods as possible.
Well the aim for using flashcards is to make learning easier and faster. that way it will takes muck linger than re-reading the book itself.
I am wondering whether flashcards are really helpfull?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Reading whole books can often be difficult- you see books in libraries with lots of notes in the early chapters and nothing at the end. Reading shorter texts that are relevant or interesting to you may be a more effective way of finding words that are useful.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The aim of using flashcards is to make learning easier and faster. That way it will [STRIKE]takes muck linger[/STRIKE] take much longer than re-reading the book itself.
I am wondering whether flashcards are really helpful.

Please note my corrections to your post.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Reading whole books can often be difficult- you see books in libraries with lots of notes in the early chapters and nothing at the end.

Of course, people who make notes in library books should be thrown into an oubliette!

needer

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Netherlands
The question is: whether it is worth using quizlet or vocabulary.com or it is better to study textbooks traditionally.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The question is: whether it worth using quizlet or vocabulary.com or it is better to study textbooks traditionally.

As pangus said in post #2, the answer is "both"! Very few people learn in only one way. Variety makes things interesting and it keeps you on your toes! Use all of them. I am learning Spanish and I have 2 grammar books, a verb book but I also use several apps which are like flashcards and a few different websites which give tests and quizzes. I would be bored to death if I only studied the grammar books but I wouldn't learn as much if I only used the apps and the websites.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thank you. (Don't forget the final full stop.)

Your appreciation is welcome but there is no need to write a new post to say thank you. Simply click the Like button on any posts you found helpful. It means that we don't have to open the thread again to read your new post and then find that it doesn't include any new information or an additional question.​

Status
Not open for further replies.