Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
What's the difference between the two? I mean as plants. They're translated into the same Polish word, but either has its own wikipedia article for example, so I'm a bit confused.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
What's the difference between the two? I mean as plants. They're translated into the same Polish word, but either has its own wikipedia article for example, so I'm a bit confused.
Technically, they might be the same thing.
In usage, a cane tends to be thicker and more rigid than a reed.
For me, the transition point would be somewhere around the consistency of a plastic drinking straw, give or take.

mmasny

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you very much. Just to make sure: so it has nothing to do with being pithed or not, am I right?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you very much. Just to make sure: so it has nothing to do with being pithed or not, am I right?
Apparently there are various technical definitions and distinctions.

Here is one from basket-weaving:
What are Cane & Reed? | WickerWoman.com

For musical instruments:
All bassoonists who have ever made reeds agree on a basic difference between “good” cane and “bad” cane. When two reeds are identical in design, manufacture and condition, the one that responds well is made of “good” cane, while the mediocre or worse reed is made of “bad” cane.

Counting the Virtues of Bassoon Cane

If you do a Google search for: pith cane reed botanical, you'll probably find what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.