Can someone please advise if it's alright to speak this way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

salt&pepper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hello!

Can someone please advise if it is alright to speak this way:
"Have you done with all your packing?"

I find the sentence structure kind of weird. Please advise! Thanks!:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello!

I find the sentence structure kind of weird. Please advise! Thanks!:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Hi and welcome to Using English.

Keeping as close to your original sentence as possible, I would say either "Are you done/finished with all your packing?" or "Have you finished all your packing?"

salt&pepper

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
Hi and welcome to Using English.

Keeping as close to your original sentence as possible, I would say either "Are you done/finished with all your packing?" or "Have you finished all your packing?"

Does this mean that my sentence structure is incorrect?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello!

I would say it's unnatural if not incorrect. I agree with BarbD. "Are you done with your packing?", "Have you finished all your packing?"

I think the problem I find with it is using "Have you done with..." and "all" in the same sentence. If someone was eating a meal, there was still some food on their plate but they put down their cutlery and leaned back in their chair as if they had finished eating, I would say "Are you done with that?" or "Are you done?" or just maybe "Have you done?" The fact that there is still some food on the plate would mean that using "all" would not make sense.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A side note on your thread title: There are many people who will insist that "all right" is correct and "alright" is incorrect.

You can read the usage note here, and see that people who insist it is incorrect are probably incorrect themselves for thinking so, but it's probably good to know that some will see it as an error.

Status
Not open for further replies.