Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
A guy asked me if I was a Chinese or a Korean. I told him I was a Chinese but I should have told him I was a Korean.

A guy asked me if I am a Chinese or a Korean. I told him I am a Chinese but I should have told him I am a Korean.

Which one is correct and what's the difference? Thanks a lot!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
A guy asked me if I was [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] Chinese or [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] Korean. I told him I was [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] Chinese but I should have told him I was [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] Korean.

A guy asked me if I am [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] Chinese or [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] Korean. I told him I am [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] Chinese but I should have told him I am [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] Korean.
When we report speech, we usually shift the tenses in the original speech back into the past. However, if the situation spoken of originally is still true, then we can, but don't have to, backshift. So, both of your sentences are possible.

With many nationalities, we normally use the adjective (Chinese) rather than the noun (a Chinese).

sumon.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
but don't have to, backshift.
Hi Mr.5jj
Could you please describe this part of the sentence shortly?
I understand what you meant but not the sentence pattern. Why is the comma used after have to before back-shift .

Thank you

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Hi Mr.5jj
Could you please describe this part of the sentence shortly?
I understand what you meant but not the sentence pattern. Why is the comma used after have to before back-shift .

Thank you
"but don't have to" is in parenthesis, if you remove it, the sentence still makes sense. Does that help you to understand?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Think of the commas as brackets:

However, if the situation spoken of originally is still true, then we can (but don't have to) backshift.

= However, if the situation spoken of originally is still true, then we can backshift, but we don't have to .

sumon.

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
"but don't have to" is in parenthesis, if you remove it, the sentence still makes sense. Does that help you to understand?

Yes, now I understand. Thank you,Bhaisahab.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.