Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
New Zealand
Can anyone help me understand the meaning of "cop the flack"?
e.g. "If that advice is unsound or unpopular, they cop all the flack."

Regards
:?:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Can anyone help me understand the meaning of "cop the flack"?
e.g. "If that advice is unsound or unpopular, they cop all the flack."

Regards
:?:

'Cop' is an informal term with a very long pedigree; it's related to the German kaufen, but means, roughly, get or receive; or, in a usage widely known. arrest (that's what a 'copper' does).

By chance, the other problem word has Germanic roots. When aircraft were first used in warfare they were virtually invincible. German scientists devised a system of anti-aircraft weapon called Fliegerabwehrkanone (abbreviated 'flak'). When you receive a hostile reception you 'take the flak' ('take' is the version I've heard; 'cop' is current in the Australian 'cop it sweet' - which means to accept defeat without whining).

'Flack' is just a typical English misspelling; we often borrow a word and then return the favour by mispronouncing it and misspelling it! ;-)

b

chchkevin

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
New Zealand
Thanks BobK for your help!

Regards
chchkevin

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
'Flack' is just a typical English misspelling; we often borrow a word and then return the favour by mispronouncing it and misspelling it! ;-)

b

Let me disagree. You borrow a word and you adapt it to the needs and characteristics of the new language. It's only natural. If such things didn't happen, we'd be speaking Sanskrit, or whatever came before that. :)

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Let me disagree. You borrow a word and you adapt it to the needs and characteristics of the new language. It's only natural. If such things didn't happen, we'd be speaking Sanskrit, or whatever came before that. :)

I love you Hedwig, but I think Bob's answer was spot on.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

My tongue was half in my cheek, Hedwig. ;-) But knowing a bit about other languages is a trial to me: I shall never use the pseudo-singular 'panini' ('May I have a panini please?') or use the spelling 'pannini' (which is growing in popularity).

b

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
My tongue was half in my cheek, Hedwig. ;-) But knowing a bit about other languages is a trial to me: I shall never use the pseudo-singular 'panini' ('May I have a panini please?') or use the spelling 'pannini' (which is growing in popularity).

b

There is precedent. We eat pierogies here, though "pierogi" is already plural in its native Polish.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I also order a single "panino" every time, except in Paris, where it's "un panini" (hélas).

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
But at least the French version has different stress, which must salve your conscience a bit. ;-)

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In Italian restaurants, most members of my family take delight in pronouncing (for example) "bolognese" correctly (bol-uh-nyay-zay not bol-uh-naise) and "bruschetta" (brusketuh not brushetuh). It's true that most languages make changes to words but I personally feel that it's important with things like foodstuffs to keep the correct word.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
But at least the French version has different stress, which must salve your conscience a bit. ;-)

b

As a result of the German accent of the Teutonic Franks who gave France their name, I have to place the tonic accent on the last syllable of every single word (any subsequent syllables were inaudible in the Vulgar Latin of the Franks and thus disappeared)... so unfortunately I have to stress the very syllable that is wrong!

/pa ni 'ni/

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Then again, you Anglophones use the plural salami instead of salame. :)

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You Argentines know your Italian meat. And your footie. And your Tango. When will I get a job in Buenos Aires?

Status
Not open for further replies.