Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Saudi Arabia
Current Location
United States
Hey,
I was wondering what does it mean when someone say "I was in band" ( not A band ).
Also, what does tippity top mean ? I'm not a native speaker but I'm guessing highest point ?
Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hey,
I was wondering what does it mean when someone say "I was in band" ( not A band ).
Also, what does tippity top mean ? I'm not a native speaker but I'm guessing highest point ?
Thanks

"I was in band" is not correct English. Where did you hear it?
We would need more context for "tippity/tippety top".

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hey,
Thanks

'In band" often means a high school or college band, not a rock band or dance band.

Yes, for #2.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'In band" often means a high school or college band, not a rock band or dance band.

Yes, for #2.

What do you mean by a high school band or college band? In BrE, a high school band would be a musical group formed by kids from the same high school. I have a feeling you're referring to something to do with their educational level. Surely "I am in band" isn't a complete sentence even with that meaning.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What do you mean by a high school band or college band? In BrE, a high school band would be a musical group formed by kids from the same high school. I have a feeling you're referring to something to do with their educational level. Surely "I am in band" isn't a complete sentence even with that meaning.

Yes, that is how we say it in AmE (sometimes in "the band"). Many high schools and colleges have a school organized band that is the marching band for athletic events and has subgroups that play for school musicals, concerts, etc. It is an extra curricular activity.

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, that is how we say it in AmE (sometimes in "the band"). Many high schools and colleges have a school organized band that is the marching band for athletic events and has subgroups that play for school musicals, concerts, etc. It is an extra curricular activity.
When I was a bus driver I took such bands all over the western states. As a student, some of my friends were in band and band practice took quite a bit of time. I saw the Rose Bowl parade this New Year's Day and some high school bands had over 300 members.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When I was a bus driver I took such bands all over the western states. As a student, some of my friends were in band and band practice took quite a bit of time. I saw the Rose Bowl parade this New Year's Day and some high school bands had over 300 members.

Yes, I am amazed that this is not common in the UK. I played football and it was a huge time commitment, but I think guys in band spent even more time.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know what happens at UK secondary schools (high schools) these days, but when I was a high school student, the only musical activities were the school orchestra and the school choir(s). I was in all of them, but as far as terminology goes, I would have said:

I'm in the school orchestra.
I'm in the orchestra.
I'm in the school choir.
I'm in the choir.
I'm in the madrigal choir.

None of those would be correct in BrE without the article.

Most of my knowledge of American high schools comes from TV and films (and a few American friends) so I was already aware that there always seems to be a school band (what we would call a marching band) at every high school and that it seems to be a big deal. I was not aware, however, that it was referred to as "I'm in band" rather than "I'm in the band".

I continue to be surprised by the variety of BrE vs AmE differences. :)

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't know what happens at UK secondary schools (high schools) these days, but when I was a high school student, the only musical activities were the school orchestra and the school choir(s). I was in all of them, but as far as terminology goes, I would have said:

I'm in the school orchestra.
I'm in the orchestra.
I'm in the school choir.
I'm in the choir.
I'm in the madrigal choir.

None of those would be correct in BrE without the article.

Most of my knowledge of American high schools comes from TV and films (and a few American friends) so I was already aware that there always seems to be a school band (what we would call a marching band) at every high school and that it seems to be a big deal. I was not aware, however, that it was referred to as "I'm in band" rather than "I'm in the band".

I continue to be surprised by the variety of BrE vs AmE differences. :)

It amazes me as well.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was in band, orchestra, and chorus. They all met the same period so I rotated. I was not in the marching band.
The three I was in were all academic classes. Many people were only in band. Many people were only in chorus. This is how we say it when you refer to which class you took.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So for Barb they were classes and for Mike they were extra-curricular activities, is that right? But the terminology was the same no matter what?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The marching band was in addition to your class. Note I said that I was not in the marching band. (Double reed instruments don't march.)

Status
Not open for further replies.