Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Now, for most people, nearly being murdered by a warlock working with the Eye would be enough excitement for one semester.

warlock working with the Eye ??

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Or could "the Eye" be the name of a bad guy?

Can you give us any more context?

Tinkerbell

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Dad raised both eyebrows at me. I wondered if that was on purpose or if, like me, he couldn’t lift just one. “‘Intense?’” he echoed. He picked up the file again and studied it over the top of his glasses. “On your first day at Hecate, you were attacked by a werewolf. . . .”

“It wasn’t really an attack,” I muttered, but no one seemed to pay any attention.

“But of course, that’s paltry compared to what came after.” Dad flipped through the pages. “You insulted a teacher, which resulted in semester-long cellar duty with one Archer Cross. According to Mrs. Casnoff’s notes on the situation, the two of you became ‘close.’” He paused. “Is that an accurate description of your relationship with Mr. Cross?”
“Sure,” I said through clenched teeth.

Dad turned another page. “Well, apparently you two were . . . close enough that at some point you were able to see the mark of L’Occhio di Dio on his chest.”

I flushed at that, and felt Mom’s arm tighten around me. Over the past six months, I’d filled her in on a lot of the story with Archer, but not all of it.

Specifically, not the whole me-making-out-in-the-cellar-with-him part.

“Now, for most people, nearly being murdered by a warlock working with the Eye would be enough excitement for one semester. But you also became involved with a coven of dark witches led by”— he ran his finger along the page—“ah, Elodie Parris. Miss Parris and her friends, Anna Gilroy and Chaston Burnett, murdered the other member of their coven, Holly Mitchell, and raised a demon who just happened to be your great-grandmother, Alice Barrow.”

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hmm. I'm going to guess, based on the reference to "the mark of L’Occhio di Dio" that the "Eye" refers back to that in some way [L'Occhio].

Could it be some kind of secret society? Would that make sense? Some kind of cult?

Tinkerbell

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hmm. I'm going to guess, based on the reference to "the mark of L’Occhio di Dio" that the "Eye" refers back to that in some way [L'Occhio].

Could it be some kind of secret society? Would that make sense? Some kind of cult?

Yes, I think there is a secret society of demons in the book but I didn't come that part yet. When I reach there, I'll ask for your advice again. :-D Thank you.

Tinkerbell

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Another hint with the Eye:

He’d been betrothed to Holly, Jenna’s old roommate, before she died. Of course, now that I knew he was an Eye, I wondered how legit that had ever been. But I didn’t want to think about him right now.

Tinkerbell

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Another hint:
There was the werewolf who’d seen a guy matching Archer’s description when The Eye raided a den in London.

Tullia

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Another hint with the Eye:

He’d been betrothed to Holly, Jenna’s old roommate, before she died. Of course, now that I knew he was an Eye, I wondered how legit that had ever been. But I didn’t want to think about him right now.

Another hint:
There was the werewolf who’d seen a guy matching Archer’s description when The Eye raided a den in London.

Yes, I'm really thinking "The Eye" is a group of people for sure now. Like "The Order (of the Phoenix)" from Harry Potter, perhaps? Althought they were "good" and the Eye sounds maybe like they could be the bad guys.

Tinkerbell

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Yes, they're bad guys. They're demons or worse. :shock:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I'm really thinking "The Eye" is a group of people for sure now. Like "The Order (of the Phoenix)" from Harry Potter, perhaps? Althought they were "good" and the Eye sounds maybe like they could be the bad guys.
:up:

The name 'Occhio di Dio' is vaguely reminiscent of 'Opus Dei'* (and before anyone tries teaching their grandmother to suck eggs, I know they don't mean the same ;-)). They sound 'good' but turn out to be sinister.

b

PS * Brought to prominence in the book The Da Vinci Code (and there's 6 hours I'm never going to get back... ;-))

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.