Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
Looking for info on Scotland my students and I came across Cavens hotel. Is Cavens pronounced like cave ?

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, it is. Just to be absolutely sure, I telephoned the "Cavens Country House Hotel" in Dumfries to check!

DEBBIE K.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
thank you so much !

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, it is. Just to be absolutely sure, I telephoned the "Cavens Country House Hotel" in Dumfries to check!

Ha ha! That's hilarious. I actually considered phoning them myself but chickened out, on the basis that once they answered the phone, it would be rude to hang up but I couldn't think of any good excuse to have phoned them. Out of curiosity, what did you tell them when you rang them?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you so much!

Debbie K, there is no need to write a new post to say "Thank you", but if you're going to do it, you must capitalise the first letter, and remember that we don't put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

Simply click on the "Thank" button on any post you find helpful. It saves time for everyone.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Ha ha! That's hilarious. I actually considered phoning them myself but chickened out, on the basis that once they answered the phone, it would be rude to hang up but I couldn't think of any good excuse to have phoned them. Out of curiosity, what did you tell them when you rang them?
I told them the simple truth. The charming lady who answered was intrigued to hear about the circumstances, and was very happy to confirm the pronunciation!

Status
Not open for further replies.