Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Dear all,

How should I understand "would" underlined in the sentence below?

If I were the writer, I would say "theory suggests" directly instead of adding the word "would".

What does "would" implied here?

Thanks in advance.

Eartha

Theory would suggest that profit margins will revert to the mean over time.
If profits are very low then companies will go out of business, improving the competitive position and thus the margins of those businesses that survive. Similarly, if profits are high then more capital will be attracted into the industry and existing businesses will be tempted to expand and the resulting competition will cause margins to fall.

Alamshar

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Ireland
Current Location
Spain
There is no difference in the two. The use of "would" introduces the indirect form common in English. Here's another example. I would have been 10 when I left England / I was 10 when I left England. They both have the same meaning.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
There is no difference in the two. The use of "would" introduces the indirect form common in English. Here's another example. I would have been 10 when I left England / I was 10 when I left England. They both have the same meaning.
They do not have exactly the same meaning. "I was 10 ..." is given as a fact. "I would have been 10 ..." has the idea of "The information (and/or memory) that I have suggest to me that I was 10". The certainty of the speaker actually being 10 at the time of leaving is not so great.

Similarly, "Theory suggests ..." is factual. "Theory would suggest ..." is, as you say, more indirect, and it is therefore less certain.

In practical terms, there is no significant difference, but I don't think we can say they have the same meaning.

The difference is clearer in "Chomsky says .." and "Chomsky would say ...". In the second of these it may very well be that Chomsky has never said the words that follow. The speaker believes that Chomsky would say those words if he were to speak on the subject (based on the impression that the speaker has gained of Chomsky's thinking).

Status
Not open for further replies.