Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Unlike ex2, when a judgemental adjective for the subject is used, it's followed by "of" not "for". Do you know why "of" should be used? I guess it's because these adjectives are properties of a person, so "of" can mean some possessive property. Can someone explain the reason?

ex1)It was nice(stupid, foolish, smart) of him to help the old lady.
ex2)<=> It is important for us to learn English.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Unlike ex2, when a judgemental adjective for the subject is used, it's followed by "of" not "for". Do you know why "of" should be used? I guess it's because these adjectives are properties of a person, so "of" can mean some possessive property. Can someone explain the reason?

I guess this might be a habitual use that they don't know the reason of.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

You've already guessed a good enough reason.

jahildebrandt

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

Of typically refers to one party. In the first sentence, it's him; in the second, it's the one class. It's possessive in the sense that it excludes other parties and is applicable to only the one party.

Of can also be used "possessively" to indicate origin. E.g. John, C.E.O. of GM. (GM's C.E.O., John.)

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Not a teacher.

Of typically refers to one party. In the first sentence, it's him; in the second, it's the one class. It's possessive in the sense that it excludes other parties and is applicable to only the one party.

Of can also be used "possessively" to indicate origin. E.g. John, C.E.O. of GM. (GM's C.E.O., John.)
I mean the difference between of and for in terms of the subject of to-infinitive.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I mean the difference between of and for in terms of the subject of to-infinitive.
No, you were right the first time.
"Nice" is a characetistic of "him"
"Important" is a characteristic of "learning English", not of us. It's important for us; but not of us.
If someone said, "How important of you, learning English!" - it could be a sarcastic statement indicating that you think you are important because you are learning English.

Status
Not open for further replies.