a sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Most of the confidences were unsought-frequently I have feigned sleep, preoccupation, or a hostile levity when I realized by some unmistakable sign that an intimate revelation was quivering on the horizon; for the intimate revelations of young men, or at least the terms in which they express them, are usually plagiaristic and marred by obvious suppressions. Reserving judgments is a matter of infinite hope. I am still a little afraid of missing something if I forget that, as my father snobbishly suggested, and I snobbishly repeat, a sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth.

Source: The Great Gatsby http://www.publicbookshelf.com/fiction/great-gatsby/younger-vulnerable

Hello friends,
I know the meanings of each word written in the blue part but I can't understand it as a whole.
Would you please be kind enough to clarify the blue part to me?

Thanks so much.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Gillnetter

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Source: The Great Gatsby http://www.publicbookshelf.com/fiction/great-gatsby/younger-vulnerable

Hello friends,
I know the meanings of each word written in the blue part but I can't understand it as a whole.
Would you please be kind enough to clarify the blue part to me?

Thanks so much.
a sense of the fundamental decencies is parcelled out unequally at birth.

Let's substitute basic for fundamental. Decencies refers to being kind, nice, and, generally, treating people in a good manner. Here, the author is saying that these basic decencies are not given to everyone at birth. Unequally means that something is not equal. This is similar to saying that blond hair is parceled out unequally at birth - there are only so many babies born with blond hair, other babies have black, red, or brown hair. In short then, the author is saying that not all people are born with a sense of being basically nice.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Let me ask you a question. This is a very heavy piece of literature, and you seem to have trouble with it. Why don't you read something more modern and easier to understand?
Thanks for answering. I have to read it because it's suggested to us by our university. I myself hate the book but we students are forced to read it because it's suggested by the university. After some days I will also give a lecture about the plot of the story.
I wish the teachers would suggest us another book.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks for answering. I have to read it because it's suggested to us by our university. I myself hate the book but we students are forced to read it because it's suggested by the university. After some days I will also give a lecture about the plot of the story.
I wish the teachers would suggest us another book.

OK. That explains your choice. I have no idea why your university made that choice. I noticed that you were also reading Edith Hamilton's Mythology. That is one of my favorite books.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
OK. That explains your choice. I have no idea why your university made that choice. I noticed that you were also reading Edith Hamilton's Mythology. That is one of my favorite books.

The Great Gatsby was a set book in English for my 17/18 year old students doing the Baccalaureat in France in 2009/2010.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The Great Gatsby was a set book in English for my 17/18 year old students doing the Baccalaureat in France in 2009/2010.

Was this for ESL students?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

French Lycée (high school) students. This was part of their English course for the Baccalaureat. You could say ESL students since they were French natives at school in France.

lxenglish

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany

Hi there!
The book is also read by 17/18 year old German students of the German Abitur, all ESL students of course! I had to read it as well.

I remembered the quote and found this discussion looking it up. It's been years since I had the book at hand. It made a strong impression on me back then. Keep up the reading! The story is worth it!

:)

P.S.: Wow, just saw the date of your posts! Sorry for being so late! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.