[General] I paid off my loans for / over six months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I paid off my loans for six months. VS. I paid off my loans over six months.

I think that they are synonymous in this case.

What do you native English speakers think? Thank you so much as usual and have a good day.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As your question was answered here three hours before you posted it in this forum, I don't understand why tou are posting it here.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you and I am sorry but because I could not understand "I paid off my loans over six months. Does this mean I paid my loans more than six months. It also mean I paid all my loans. ", I wanted to ask people here for help. Thank you as usual though.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I paid off my loans over six months = Over the course of the time period of six months, I gradually paid money until I no longer owed any money on any loans. At the beginning of the six-month period, I owed money. At the end of that six-month period, I had finished paying what I owed.

I lost twenty kilos in weight over six months = At the beginning of the six-month period I weighed twenty kilos more than I did at the end of the six-month period.

1st January 2012 - Weight: 95 kilos.
30th June 2012 - Weight: 75 kilos.
Weight loss over six months: 20 kilos.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you and then how about I paid off my loans for six months?

It implies that I still had some loans to pay off or it also could imply that I finished paying off?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

It implies that I still had some loans to pay off or it also could imply that I finished paying off?

It's not natural. You might say "I've been paying off my loans for six months" and that suggests that you have not finished paying them off yet.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

This was Mr M's response in the other forum:

"I paid off my loans for six months.
40.gif
Then what did you do? That sentence does not convey the meaning that you paid off all your loans."

Once again, I don't understand why you asked the question again here. Those of us who answer questions on forums have limited free time. It is frustrating to spend time answering a question for somebody, only to discover that they have already had that question answered. It is legitimate to say, "I have been told that X is incorrect because .... Do you agree with it?' It is, however, potentially time-wasting simply to pose a question as if you had no idea of the answer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.