Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello, great folks. Well...today I do not even know how to ask a question about meaning difference of "for gerund" and " to V" So, is there a meaning difference between "I use my computer for studying English" and "I use my computer to study English" I think the latter is more natural and sounds better, but I am not sure and how about these, "This is clothes to play soccer" and "This is clothes for playing soccer" I think both are okay and the meaning of the two is the same or similar but I am not sure. That's why I need your help again. Please help me again.

moonlike

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello, great folks. Well...today I do not even know how to ask a question about meaning difference of "for gerund" and " to V" So, is there a meaning difference between "I use my computer for studying English" and "I use my computer to study English" I think the latter is more natural and sounds better, but I am not sure and how about these, "This is clothes to play soccer" and "This is clothes for playing soccer" I think both are okay and the meaning of the two is the same or similar but I am not sure. That's why I need your help again. Please help me again.

Hi
If you want to talk about the purpose of something, use "to/in order to/so that". For example, I use my computer to surf on the net/ I use my computer in order to surf on the net/ I use my computer so that I can surf on the net.
However, "for" is also possible to talk about the general use of something. For instance, we use a knife for cutting. We use a key for opening the door, but I use a knife to open the door (an unusual use of something).

Good luck

dong6241

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea

First of all, gerund is used as NOUN. Although it has a "Verb + -ing" form, it is used as a noun. so dont get confused with verb.
here's a example of simple gerund = "Playing is fun!"
do you see Playing, even though looks like a verb, is actually a subject of the sentence? And is is a verb of that sentence.
In your case : I use my computer for studying English
use is a verb of that sentence while studying English is a "object of preposition" another words, object for for
simply think of Object of preposition as completing word for prepostions. (for, in, at, etc.)
Also, remember OBJECT is always a noun, therefore studying (Verb + -ing) has to be gerund.

Now "to V" , TO is used in many ways. like moonlike said, it indicates the place you are going or used as connector for another verb.
For example, "Im going to the store" (indicates where) / "I'm going to play" (verb connector)

"Im going to the store"

"am going" (Verb + -ing) is a VERB not GREUND lol
to is used to indicate where I am going = to where? to the store

"I'm going to play"
here, "am going" (Verb + -ing) is a VERB
but to here is used as connector for another verb, PLAY.

do you see the difference?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am not sure and how about these, "This is clothes to play soccer" and "This is clothes for playing soccer" I think both are okay and the meaning of the two is the same or similar but I am not sure. That's why I need your help again. Please help me again.
Neither of these are correct English.

Firstly, it should begin "These are clothes..."

Secondly, even with that correction, we simply would not produce those words. Possible utterances include:

This is a soccer kit/gear.
These are soccer clothes(?)
This is kit/gear we wear to play soccer (in).
This is kit/gear for soccer.

sky3120

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks

Thank you all for the time and help.:)