Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Estonia
Current Location
Estonia
Hey there!
I've been watching Video Game Awards 2012 and Snoop Lion, when talking about fighting games, said one interesting sentence, which made the audience laugh. But I didn't quite get it. He said:
I put the "high" in highscore.
Can somebody please explain this to me? Thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hey there!
I've been watching Video Game Awards 2012 and Snoop Lion, when talking about fighting games, said one interesting sentence, which made the audience laugh. But I didn't quite get it. He said:

Can somebody please explain this to me? Thanks!

Getting the "high score" in a video game seems to be something people get pretty happy about, if not overly excited! "High" is also the word we use for the effects on the body of taking drugs (you get "high" from smoking marijuana, for example).

Some people presumably feel so good when they get a good score on a video game, that it has the same effect as taking a drug.

It is possible that the speaker actually does take drugs, so he was making his "high score" quite literal - he was actually "high" when he got that "score".

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, he's talking about marijuana. This is the person formerly known as "Snoop Dog" who changed his name to "Snoop Lion" when he converted to Rastafarianism, the dope smoking religion.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, he's talking about marijuana. This is the person formerly known as "Snoop Dog" who changed his name to "Snoop Lion" when he converted to Rastafarianism, the dope smoking religion.

Ah, the man who one of my friends famously referred to as "Sloop Doggy Doo"!

Status
Not open for further replies.