Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1. Strategically located at Zaveri Bazar, the heart of Mumbai’s Jewellery district, allowed DC Jewellers to have a understanding of customer taste and develop a range of designs that cater to any occasion and mood.

2. The opening of our new Showroom, DC in October 2009 bears testimony to our artistic design, keen understanding of fashion, and true value that we provide.

Do I need to have an article 'the' before true value?

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1. Strategically located at Zaveri Bazar, the heart of Mumbai’s Jewellery Center /district, it allowed DC Jewellers to have an understanding of the customer taste and develop a range of designs that cater to any occasion and mood.

2. The opening of our new Showroom, DC in October 2009 bears testimony to our artistic design, keen understanding of fashion, and true value that we provide.

The underlined noun phrase having ‘zavari Bazar' as its head (pre and post-modified) is the subject of the sentence and becomes a lengthy noun phrase. So I suggest using ‘it’ as a referent to the phrase. Use article the before customer which means specific customers who come to buy jewelry. No article before ‘value’ which is uncountable.

new2grammar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The underlined noun phrase having ‘zavari Bazar' as its head (pre and post-modified) is the subject of the sentence and becomes a lengthy noun phrase. So I suggest using ‘it’ as a referent to the phrase. Use article the before customer which means specific customers who come to buy jewelry. No article before ‘value’ which is uncountable.

Should it be ‘and to develop a range of designs’

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
1. Strategically located at Zaveri Bazar, the heart of Mumbai’s Jewellery district, allowed DC Jewellers to have a understanding of customer taste and develop a range of designs that cater to any occasion and mood.

1. Being strategically located at Zaveri Bazar, the heart of Mumbai’s Jewellery district, allowed DC Jewellers to have an understanding of customer taste and to develop a range of designs that cater for any occasion and mood.

Do I need to have an article 'the' before true value? Yes.

new2grammar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1. Being strategically located at Zaveri Bazar, the heart of Mumbai’s Jewellery district, allowed DC Jewellers to have an understanding of customer taste and to develop a range of designs that cater for any occasion and mood.

Do I need to have an article 'the' before true value? Yes.

but as sarat said we do not need an article as it is uncountable noun...so with or without article both ways are correct?..just need your guidance to make my doubt vanish.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
but as sarat said we do not need an article as it is uncountable noun...so with or without article both ways are correct?..just need your guidance to make my doubt vanish.

"Value" is not uncountable.

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
"Value" is not uncountable.

Dear bhaisahab,

I refered to Canbridge dictionary which treats 'value' as both countable and uncountable. It is countable when refered to money and if used to mean "how useful or important something is" it is uncountable. I thought the second meaning is applicable here.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Dear bhaisahab,

I refered to Canbridge dictionary which treats 'value' as both countable and uncountable. It is countable when refered to money and if used to mean "how useful or important something is" it is uncountable. I thought the second meaning is applicable here.

I took it to mean that they were providing value for money. In my opinion it's better with the article.:)

sarat_106

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Oriya
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Should it be ‘and to develop a range of designs’

1. Strategically located at Zaveri Bazar, the heart of Mumbai’s Jewellery Center /district, it allows DC Jewellers to have an understanding of the customer taste and to develop a range of designs that cater to/for any occasion and mood.

In this structure ‘it’ is the subject which expresses certain facts about DC Jewellars. So it is better to express in present simple. Initially, I thought ‘to have an understanding and develop a range” is Ok, like ‘I want to buy this book and keep it with me.’ But now that baisahab has suggested a ‘to’ before develop, please go by his advice. Similarly, cater to and cater for are both phrasal verbs having similar meaning but slightly different. You can use any one but ‘for’ I think is preferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.