Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
UK
Hi,

Question:
the following 3 sentences are found from newspaper.
Can I replace with regard to by about?
Do with regard to and about have the same meaning?

Therefore it is a fine balance as to what the general public want with regard to what we should be doing, putting more land out to the environment or should we put more land down for food production.

In addition, the algorithm suggests a regular follow up with further tests at 2-4 weeks to monitor therapy effectiveness and aid decision making with regard to ceasing or continuing with specific advanced therapies.

It seems that market sentiment has turned decisively USD-negative on the back of recent economic underperformance and political brinkmanship with regard to the U.S. fiscal issues

thanks

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

Question:
the following 3 sentences are found from newspaper.
Can I replace with regard to by about? Yes.Do with regard to and about have the same meaning? Yes, in the context posted.

Therefore it is a fine balance as to what the general public want with regard to what we should be doing, putting more land out to the environment or should we put more land down for food production.

In addition, the algorithm suggests a regular follow up with further tests at 2-4 weeks to monitor therapy effectiveness and aid decision making with regard to ceasing or continuing with specific advanced therapies.

It seems that market sentiment has turned decisively USD-negative on the back of recent economic underperformance and political brinkmanship with regard to the U.S. fiscal issues

thanks

See above.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

... fine balance as to what the general public want about what we should be doing ...
... decision making about ceasing or continuing with specific advanced therapies.
... political brinkmanship about the U.S. fiscal issues ...

'About' does not sound right to me.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

... fine balance as to what the general public want about what we should be doing ...
... decision making about ceasing or continuing with specific advanced therapies.

Nor me.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Maybe a difference between BrE and AmE.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic