Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello,

what is the meaning of 'white supremacy is the order'? The following is from the Yahoo news story - Breitbart’s Obama college video turns out to be a dud, sparks race debate

"Is that it?" Soledad O'Brien asked Pollak in an interview on Thursday morning. "What part of that was the bombshell? Because I missed it."

Pollack responded: "The bombshell is the revelation of the relationship between Obama and Derrick Bell ... [Derrick Bell] passed away last year, but during his lifetime he developed a theory called critical race theory, which holds that the Civil Rights movement was a sham and that white supremacy is the order and it must be overthrown."

Is it the same as 'order of the day'? When I googled for 'order of the day', I got two different responses.
According to one, the meaning was
or·der of the day Noun: 1. The prevailing state of things. 2. Something required or recommended.

And the other meanings (on freedictionary.com) were:

n1. (Military) the general directive of a commander in chief or the specific instructions of a commanding officer
2. Informal the prescribed or only thing offered or available prunes were the order of the day
3. (Law / Parliamentary Procedure) (in Parliament and similar legislatures) any item of public business ordered to be considered on a specific day
4. an agenda or programme

Out of all these, the number 1 above ('The prevailing state of things') seems to make sense in the sentence 'white supremacy is the order'. Is my understanding correct?

Thank you

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, and also "order" can refer to who holds the power in a society. Like a "new world order."

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Yes, and also "order" can refer to who holds the power in a society. Like a "new world order."

@SoothingDave, thank you.

Is it possible to know which one of the two meanings is intended in the above sentence ('White supremacy is the order').
1. White supremacy is the prevailing state of things
or
2. White supremacy (or white supremacists) hold power in the society

Sorry, I am a bit confused about the two meanings. Are they same are somewhat different?

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Something "is the order" means that it is the expected, given, what is.

It may be a shorten version of "order of the day."

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Something "is the order" means that it is the expected, given, what is.

It may be a shorten version of "order of the day."

@susiedq, thank you.

Corrupt politicians and rising prices are the order (of the day) in India, and people are truly fed up of both.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@SoothingDave, thank you.

Is it possible to know which one of the two meanings is intended in the above sentence ('White supremacy is the order').
1. White supremacy is the prevailing state of things
or
2. White supremacy (or white supremacists) hold power in the society

Sorry, I am a bit confused about the two meanings. Are they same are somewhat different?

Do people normally want to overthrow those who hold power?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In my view, the 'order of the day' is completely unrelated to the 'order' as the prevailing powers, the Establishment.

susiedq

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, "The Order" is a white supremacy group.

I suspect this will be discussed more in the media in the coming days.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Do people normally want to overthrow those who hold power?

Sorry, don't know if your question was rhetorical or not.

If people are not satisfied with those in power, then they want to replace them. Usually there is a section of people who are not satisfied for some reason or the other, or there are those who are interested in power and try to replace the incumbents. I am not sure if 'overthrow' can be used if a government is replaced by peaceful election. The dictionary meaning (among other meanings) is - 'To bring about the downfall or destruction of, especially by force or concerted action'. I am assuming a democratic election may qualify as 'concerted action'. These days I see psephologists on TV here providing their 'expert opinions'.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
@susiedq, thank you. I did not know about this at all. It is interesting to read that the group raised money through violent crime. And also that such groups can exist in the US.

Interestingly, most known criminal organisations (mafias, Chinese 'Triads') and the like started off as patriotic revolutionary groups that turned to crime only to generate revenue for war resources and then 'forgot' why they existed.

Olympian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Interestingly, most known criminal organisations (mafias, Chinese 'Triads') and the like started off as patriotic revolutionary groups that turned to crime only to generate revenue for war resources and then 'forgot' why they existed.

@konungursvia, thank you. I did not know this either.

Status
Not open for further replies.