Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Costa Rica
In that direction the BMC, a strategic program of the CCAD works in the maintenance and restoration of regional landscape connectivity, driving development and actions in order to consolidate a new balance among people’s subsistence needs, prevailing economy dynamic and the potential of their natural resources derived from ecological, economic and social criteria.

Hello. Could you tell me if the above text is correctly writing?

However, conventional farming causes high erosion levels, soil degradation; solid wastes runoff, as well as, contamination of soil and water both in and out of the farm. Therefore, social, relevant vulnerability rise for the economic approach that would increase poverty rates. Against this background, the economic sectors involved in the management and natural resources uses, must adopt land use mechanisms to improve livelihoods and biodiversity conservation and promoting sustainable development.

The aim has four specific objectives:

1. To identify and prioritize sites of importance for biodiversity protection and conservation and of great impact on the MSMEs economic development.
  2. To identify and prioritize sectors (primarily agriculture, forestry, agroforestry) reliant on biodiversity, where MSMEs develops conservation activities and at the same time, promoting the creation of business strengthening and new markets.
  3. To formulate the selection criteria to prioritize important sites for biodiversity.
  4. To analyze and visualize the productive landscapes, including those selected both in and out of the CBM and sites of great importance for biodiversity, derived from a national and regional scale mapping portfolio.

Grumpy

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In that direction, the BMC, a strategic program of the CCAD, works in the maintenance and restoration of regional landscape connectivity, driving development and actions in order to consolidate a new balance among people’s subsistence needs, the prevailing economy dynamic and the potential of their natural resources, (?) derived from ecological, economic and social criteria.

Hello. Could you tell me if the above text is correctly written?

However, conventional farming causes high erosion levels, soil degradation; solid wastes runoff, as well as, contamination of soil and water both in and out of the farm. Therefore, social, relevant vulnerability rise for the economic approach that would increase poverty rates. Against this background, the economic sectors involved in the management and natural resources uses, must adopt land use mechanisms to improve livelihoods and biodiversity conservation and promoting sustainable development.

The aim has four specific objectives:

1. To identify and prioritize sites of importance for biodiversity protection and conservation and of great impact on the MSMEs economic development.
  2. To identify and prioritize sectors (primarily agriculture, forestry, agroforestry) reliant on biodiversity, where MSMEs develops conservation activities and at the same time, promoting the creation of business strengthening and new markets.
  3. To formulate the selection criteria to prioritize important sites for biodiversity.
  4. To analyze and visualize the productive landscapes, including those selected both in and out of the CBM and sites of great importance for biodiversity, derived from a national and regional scale mapping portfolio.
It's too long to be clearly understandable. For example it's not clear to me what is "derived from ecological, economic and social criteria": is it the "new balance..", or is it the "potential of their natural resources'? Since you didn't have a comma after "resources" it would seem the latter, but I suspect you may mean the former.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In that direction the BMC, a strategic program of the CCAD works in the maintenance and restoration of regional landscape connectivity, driving development and actions in order to consolidate a new balance among people’s subsistence needs, prevailing economy dynamic and the potential of their natural resources derived from ecological, economic and social criteria.

Hello. Could you tell me if the above text is correctly written?

I am wondering if there really is such a thing as landscape connectivity. In any case, I suggest that you simplify that and achieve greater clarity.

:)

sebasttian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Costa Rica
Dear Grumpy. Thank you. I edited the last sentence as:
"In that direction, the BMC, a strategic program of the CCAD, works in the maintenance and restoration of regional forest landscape connectivity. Thus, the cooperation between the two institutions are driving development and actions in order to consolidate a new balance among people’s subsistence needs. In addition, the prevailing economy dynamic and the potential of their (how can I say from people?) natural resources are on the basis from ecological, economic and social criteria."

sebasttian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Costa Rica
Hello. You write, the phrase does not explain landscape type. As you can see I included forest landscape:
"In that direction, the BMC, a strategic program of the CCAD, works in the maintenance and restoration of regional forest landscape connectivity. Thus, the cooperation between the two institutions are driving development and actions in order to consolidate a new balance among people’s subsistence needs. In addition, the prevailing economy dynamic and the potential of their (how can I say from people?) natural resources are on the basis from ecological, economic and social criteria."
Is my paragraph understandable?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear Grumpy. Thank you. I edited the last sentence as:

Strangely, I did not notice that Grumpy had already posted when I did. In any case, you added stuff (at least one word) and did not make things clearer. (That paragraph makes my head hurt.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hello. You write, the phrase does not explain landscape type.

I did not notice that in either of our posts (mine or Grumpy's).

As you can see I included forest landscape:

It should be:

cooperation...is

Is my paragraph understandable?

Maybe it would be helpful if there were additional context. (Maybe not.)

:-?

Last edited:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
In that direction, the BMC, a strategic program of the CCAD, works in the maintenance and restoration of regional forest landscape connectivity. Thus, the cooperation between the two institutions are driving development and actions in order to consolidate a new balance among people’s subsistence needs. In addition, the prevailing economy dynamic and the potential of their (how can I say from people?) natural resources are on the basis from ecological, economic and social criteria.

I find it hard to understand the paragraph too, especially the underlined parts.

in that direction - do you mean 'towards that end'?
BMC, as you said in the second line, is an institution, not a program.

not a teacher

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sebasttian, you need to work towards achieving clarity. After all, if people can't understand what you are saying what is the point?

:roll:

sebasttian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Costa Rica
Many thanks for your help.
Yes, BMC and CCAD are institutions.
For learning, what I try to do every day is translate into English text from technical or scientific papers writing in Spanish.
I really apologize for my mistakes and insistence, but I want to learn how to write English correctly as much as possible. Therefore, I rewrote the paragraph, hoping that is more understandable.

Therefore, the BMC a CCAD’s strategic program, is working in restoration of Central American forest landscape connectivity and maintaining the actual connected areas. Thus, the cooperation between the two institutions are driving development and actions in order to consolidate a new balance for the subsistence needs of the people living in such areas. Consequently, the economy and the potential use of the natural resources must be based from ecological, economic and social criteria.Many thanks for your help.
For learning, what I try to do every day is translate into English text from technical or scientific papers writing in Spanish.

Yes, BMC and CCAD are institutions.
I really apologize for my mistakes and insistence, but I want to learn how to write English correctly as much as possible. Therefore, I rewrote the paragraph, hoping that is more understandable:

"Therefore, the BMC a CCAD’s strategic program, is working in restoration of Central American forest landscape connectivity and maintaining the actual connected areas. Thus, the cooperation between the two institutions are driving development and actions in order to consolidate a new balance for the subsistence needs of the people living in such areas. Consequently, the economy and the potential use of the natural resources must be based from ecological, economic and social criteria."

sebasttian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Costa Rica
Tarheel. Yes, you have right. Now I am editing the original spanish text in order to clarify it and I translate everything to English. I hope my new paragraph is clear. Many thanks for your help.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tarheel. Yes, you are right. Now I am editing the original Spanish text in order to clarify, and then I will translate everything into English. I hope my new paragraph is clear. Many thanks for your help.

You're welcome.

sebasttian

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Costa Rica
Thank you. when to use "the" and when not to use it?. I still don't know.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For learning, what I try to do every day is translate into English text from technical or scientific papers written in Spanish.
I really apologize for my mistakes and insistence, but I want to learn how to write English correctly as much as possible. Therefore, I rewrote the paragraph, hoping that is more understandable.

That is not bad (although I am not sure what "insistence" refers to). It seems to me that it is the translating thing that is the problem. I think that if you make shorter, simpler sentences you will achieve greater clarity.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Therefore, the BMC a CCAD’s strategic program, is working to restore Central American forest landscape connectivity and to maintain the [STRIKE]actual[/STRIKE] connected areas.

I am beginning to understand what "connectivity" is in this context.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thus, the cooperation between the two institutions are driving development and actions in order to consolidate a new balance for the subsistence needs of the people living in such areas.

Say:

The two institutions are cooperating to (achieve something).

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The word is not insistence but stubbornness. Also, you have a habit of posting the same thing twice in the same post.

I believe you are saying that the organizations in question are working to maintain forested areas and to preserve connectedness between those areas.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Unlike buildings which you can connect by building bridges and walkways , forested areas are discrete areas of land covered by natural vegetation. How do you connect them and what are the advantages of doing that?

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the OP means that two forested areas are connected by a relatively narrow strip of land which is also forested. (But I could be wrong.)

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Man-made forest? ;-)