Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hello,

I think among the forum members there're definitely people who like gathering mushrooms in autumn. In Russia this is one of the favorite activities of many people especially older ones. We believe that there are some days when mushrooms in forests grow more rapidly than usual. These are the days when the sun is shining and it's raining simultaneously. We have a specific word for such a rain: "Mushroom raining". Do you use any idiomatic expression in English to describe a rain like this? Maybe "sunshower"?

Thanks

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Sunshower (sun shower):

"In Russian, it is called грибной дождь (gribnoy dozhd'), "mushroom rain", as such conditions are considered favorable to growing mushrooms.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunshower#cite_note-KPBS-6 It is also often referred to as слепой дождь (slepoy dozhd'}, which literally translates as "blind rain".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
These are the days when the sun is shining and it's raining simultaneously. We have a specific word for such a rain: "Mushroom raining". Do you use any idiomatic expression in English to describe a rain like this? Maybe "sunshower
Not as far as I know. Pity. I like the idea.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Only rarely is there simultaneous sunshine and rain. That's when rainbows are visible.

The nearest equivalent we have to your expression is in the springtime, when showers alternate with warm sunshine. We call this good growing weather.

Rover

milan2003_07

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Only rarely is there simultaneous sunshine and rain. That's when rainbows are visible.

The nearest equivalent we have to your expression is in the springtime, when showers alternate with warm sunshine. We call this good growing weather.

Rover

Actually what I'm speaking about occurs in the summertime in Russia because mushrooms where I live never grow in spring. Concerning autumn such rains as I've described are rare. Probably that's different in other parts of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.