[Vocabulary] How to pronounce the last name 'Sjaus'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

falconed

Member Type
Student or Learner
I believe the name originates from Croatia but may be mistaken. Can anyone help me with the pronunciation of 'Sjaus'?

Thank you.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I believe the name originates from Croatia but may be mistaken. Can anyone help me with the pronunciation of 'Sjaus'?

Thank you.
I believe the actual name is "Sjauš" and I'm not sure what pronunciation you'd like. As far as I know, Americans tend to ignore diacritics in writing and then to pronounce words as if the diacritics never existed. So do you need the original pronunciation or some kind of Americanized one?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I believe the actual name is "Sjauš" and I'm not sure what pronunciation you'd like. As far as I know, Americans tend to ignore diacritics in writing and then to pronounce words as if the diacritics never existed. So do you need the original pronunciation or some kind of Americanized one?
The poster is in Australia. Why would they want an Americanized version?
Most Australians would say 'sjouse' to rhyme with 'house', or sjaws, to rhyme with 'Santa Claus'.
But if 'j' is devoiced following 's' it would sound like 'schouse', or 'schaws'.
Sorry, no idea how it sounds in Croatian.

falconed

Member Type
Student or Learner
Most Australians would say 'sjouse' to rhyme with 'house', or sjaws, to rhyme with 'Santa Claus'.
But if 'j' is devoiced following 's' it would sound like 'schouse', or 'schaws'.
Sorry, no idea how it sounds in Croatian.

Thank you.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

As BC brought it up, presumably she know something that we don't about the likely context - maybe "Sjauš" is the name of a sportsman or film star or something. I'm inclined to think she knows what she's talking about. ;-)

b

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I'm inclined to think she knows what she's talking about. ;-)

b
Well, as long as someone knows what's going on, I guess it's under control.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I'm inclined to think she knows what she's talking about. ;-)
Thanks for so much trust in my intelligence, but I must admit with shame that it's not true... :oops::oops: I said "Americans" for no reason. The word somehow arrived in my head and somehow even made it to the post.

I don't know anybody special named so. I'm Slavic, so it was easy for me to check on the web even though I never learned Croatian.

Status
Not open for further replies.