It's animals that are.. BBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

diver

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello.
'It's animals that are needlessly active that will not survive, but animals that are most efficient and use their waking time to do vital functions, and are otherwise asleep that will survive.'
Why there is singular?
Thanks.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello.
'It's animals that are needlessly active that will not survive, but animals that are most efficient and use their waking time to do vital functions, and are otherwise asleep that will survive.'
Why there is singular?
Thanks.

(Not a teacher)

Which part of the sentence are you referring to as being singular?

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
What, in your opinion, is wrong with that?

Well, I hadn't had an idea, so, I left it blank. After your question, I checked the internet if I could figure out how to use dummy pronouns with plurals, but I couldn't find anything. For convenience, I wouldn't use "it's", therefore I'd stay away from any incorrectness. But, in this particular case , unfortunately, I have no clue.

Linguist__

Member Type
Student or Learner
(Not a teacher)

If it is indeed the 'it's' in 'it's animals' that you are asking 'why is it singular?', it's because 'it' here is a dummy pronoun, as euncu brought up. Dummy pronouns are used because English syntax requires a subject, but they don't refer to anything. Dummy pronouns aren't ever plural, because they don't refer to anything and are thus singular by default.

The construction 'it are' doesn't exist in English.

diver

Member Type
Student or Learner
Thank you, I understand with "it's", but why there "that" not "those"?

Status
Not open for further replies.