English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Dear teachers,

I am a teacher myself, but I am still learning. The more I think about articles, the more confused I get.

Let's say I teach for a company and have bad experience with a lot of the people there, shall I say?

People in xxx (the name of the company) seem to be quite two-faced. OR
The people in xxx (the name of the company) seem to be quite two-faced. ?

(Does it matter if there are a lot of people or if it is a small company)

What about this?

I used to write a diary and every day I wrote about things that happened to me that day. OR ... the things that happened to me that day?

OR I am surprised about the omission of "the" in this sentence from an article on Breaking News English

"Shareholders from the British fashion house Burberry are up in arms about a proposed pay package for its CEO." - Why don't we put there "the" when we mean kind of specific shareholders, shareholders of the British fashion Burberry.

Thank you in advance for your explanation.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear teachers,

I am a teacher myself, but I am still learning. The more I think about articles, the more confused I get.

Let's say I teach for a company and have bad experiences with a lot of the people there, shall I say?
Some people in xxx (the name of the company) seem to be quite two-faced. OR
The people in xxx (the name of the company) seem to be quite two-faced. ?

(Does it matter if there are a lot of people or if it is a small company)

What about this?

I used to write a diary, and every day I wrote about things that happened to me that day. OR ... the things that happened to me that day?

OR I am surprised about the omission of "the" in this sentence from an article on Breaking News English

"Shareholders from the British fashion house Burberry are up in arms about a proposed pay package for its CEO." - Why don't we put there "the" when we mean kind of specific shareholders, shareholders of the British fashion Burberry?

[STRIKE]Thank you in advance for your explanation.[/STRIKE]

Sometimes the use of the article "the" is optional. When we say "the shareholders" of a company we are referring to all of the shareholders.

Did I miss anything?

:)

Katka28

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Sometimes the use of the article "the" is optional. When we say "the shareholders" of a company we are referring to all of the shareholders.

Did I miss anything?

Thank you:)

Aha, so when I speak about a bigger group of people and mean absolutely all members of the group without exception, then I should use THE? And when I mean most of the people from a particular group, but am aware there might be exceptions, I can omit the article? E.g. "shareholders" in the example above means "some of them, but probably not all, I don't mean particular people", but when I say "the shareholders", I mean all of them?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
1. Yes.
2. That last sentence was too long.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Article use is tricky and somewhat subjective. The number of people or the size of the company doesn't matter. In your first sentence, without an article it means "some unspecified" people; with article it refers to "all the people". In your second sentence, the difference is not very clear. In your third sentence, "shareholders" without the article means "some shareholders"; with the article it leans towards "all the shareholders".

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
In your first sentence, without an article it means "some unspecified" people; with article it refers to "all the people". ".

To avoid ambiguity, is it better for us to use "Some people in xxx(the name of the company) seem to be quite two-faced" instead of "People in xxx (the name of the company) seem to be quite two-faced."

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't consider "people" ambiguous, but "some people" is OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.