to compel the result

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Student or Learner
Hello everybody,

I came across this phrase in a legal text but I am not sure I understand what it means.
Does it mean to force reasoning in order to draw a conclusion that could not be drawn otherwise?

Thanks everybody in advance

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Your explanation sounds correct to me, but legalese can be a language of its own.

Rover

Member Type
Student or Learner
Your explanation sounds correct to me, but legalese can be a language of its own.

Rover

Thank you for your reply.
I understand legal jargon might be unintelligible to native speakers as well. This is one of the reasons why I am asking. I noticed there are a lot of google results for the collocation "compel the result" and most of them seem to be in legal texts. Since it was so frequent in legal contexts, I thought it must be some special expression with some special meaning.
But at least now I am sure I got the basic meaning right.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Don't sue me if it's wrong.

Rover

Member Type
Student or Learner
Don't sue me if it's wrong.

Rover

Don't worry, I won't! :lol:
As a lawyer I shoudn't say this but I think that I even if I did sue you, I'd have little chance of winning the case!

Thank you again for your help and if any other possible explanation of this mysterious legalese phrase happens to come to your mind, please let me know (I'm under the impression the basic meaning doesn't really fit the context).

Status
Not open for further replies.