Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Hello everyone!
I have big problem in making a sentence,even a simple one.
The most easy sentences can make it hard to me.
Lately I`m trying to chat in english as long as I can, and sometimes an easy sentences I don`t sure if it is 100% currect.

A few examples:
I wanted to wrote: "where did he went" but then i realize went it is in past and also did, so I wasn`t sure if it`s : "where did he went" or "where he went" - my problem is i think the sentence : "where did he went" is sounds more sense to me, and "where he went" sounds more right to me.
You know what I`m saying?
There is a lot more examples for that, lately I started to read news in english movies with english subtitles.

I was thinking on writing as more I can stories, or essays and stuff, I`m not sure though where is the right forum to write on my life or some story I can invent, so if you can to navigate me I`ll much appreciate it !

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I think the problem is that you are trying to write in English without trying to learn the grammar. For example, it is apparent that you have not studied how to form a question in English.
For example, you want the following:
"Where did he go?"
"Do you know what I'm saying?"

yovelpartush

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
I think the problem is that you are trying to write in English without trying to learn the grammar. For example, it is apparent that you have not studied how to form a question in English.
For example, you want the following:
"Where did he go?"
"Do you know what I'm saying?"
That was I`m saying, I studied but it was a few years ago when I was in school.
What can I do to practice it more often?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Before you start writing stories, you really need to sit down and study the very basics of sentence structure, such as question forms.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone!

I have big problems in [STRIKE]making[/STRIKE] creating/writing [STRIKE]a sentence[/STRIKE] sentences, (space required after a comma) even [STRIKE]a simple one[/STRIKE] even simple ones. Even the [STRIKE]most easy[/STRIKE] easiest sentences can [STRIKE]make it[/STRIKE] be hard [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] for me.

Lately, [STRIKE]I`m[/STRIKE] I've been trying to chat in English as [STRIKE]long[/STRIKE] much as I can, and sometimes I'm not even sure if [STRIKE]an[/STRIKE] easy sentences [STRIKE]I don`t sure if it is[/STRIKE] are 100% [STRIKE]currect[/STRIKE] correct.

A few examples:

I wanted to [STRIKE]wrote[/STRIKE] write (no colon here) "Where did he went?" but then I realized that went it is in the past tense and [STRIKE]also[/STRIKE] so is did, so I wasn't sure if it's (no colon here) "Where did he went?" or "Where he went?" My problem is that I think the sentence (no colon here) "Where did he went?" [STRIKE]is sounds[/STRIKE] makes more sense to me, [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] but "Where he went?" sounds more right to me.

Do you know what I'm saying?

There [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] are a lot more examples. [STRIKE]for that,[/STRIKE] Lately, I have started to read news in English and movies with English subtitles.

I [STRIKE]was[/STRIKE] am thinking [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] about writing as [STRIKE]more[/STRIKE] much I can - stories, or essays and other stuff. I'm not sure, though, [STRIKE]where[/STRIKE] which is the right forum in which to write [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] about my life or write [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] a story I can invent. [STRIKE]so[/STRIKE] If you can [STRIKE]to navigate[/STRIKE] guide me, I'll [STRIKE]much[/STRIKE] appreciate it!

Please see my multiple corrections above. I'm afraid that you are not ready to start writing stories yet. You need to study basic English grammar first. You also need to study how to write in English. It's important to follow these rules at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter (including complete sentences enclosed in quotation marks).
- End every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

As you now know, both "Where did he went?" and "Where he went?" are wrong. The question is "Where did he go?"

yovelpartush

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Please see my multiple corrections above. I'm afraid that you are not ready to start writing stories yet. You need to study basic English grammar first. You also need to study how to write in English. It's important to follow these rules at all times:

- Start every sentence with a capital letter (including complete sentences enclosed in quotation marks).
- End every sentence with one appropriate punctuation mark.
- Always capitalise the word "I".
- Do not put a space before a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.
- Always put a space after a comma, full stop, question mark or exclamation mark.

As you now know, both "Where did he went?" and "Where he went?" are wrong. The question is "Where did he go?"

Thanks for your notes and your help first of all.
Second I guess I`m really bad in english, I guess my first thing to do is improving my grammer, How i do that? I`m not sure what is that even mean.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
First of all, thanks for your notes and your help. [STRIKE]first of all.[/STRIKE]
Second, I guess I'm really bad [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] at English. I guess [STRIKE]my[/STRIKE] the first thing I need to do is [STRIKE]improving[/STRIKE] improve my grammar. How do I [STRIKE]do[/STRIKE] that? I''m not sure what [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] that even means.

You need to simply study basic English, possibly even English for beginners. It looks as if your vocabulary is fairly good but you struggle a lot with how to construct sentences.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
How do I do that?

One way is to use a grammar book.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I recommend reading lots of English. Use trustworthy sources, such as good English newspapers and websites such as the BBC. The more you read, the more you will become accustomed to how sentences are constructed.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
You buy a book titled something like "Basic English Grammar" and you work through it systematically. Or you find websites that provide the same.
Somewhere near the beginning will be a section on how to form questions in English, as well as all the other basic structures. Unless you are constantly interacting in English with someone, you cannot learn a language by picking up lines from movies or newspapers. Some exceptional people can do this, but you have demonstrated and conceded that you are not one of them.

yovelpartush

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
You need to simply study basic English, possibly even English for beginners. It looks as if your vocabulary is fairly good but you struggle a lot with how to construct sentences.

How do I do that?

One way is to use a grammar book.

I recommend reading lots of English. Use trustworthy sources, such as good English newspapers and websites such as the BBC. The more you read, the more you will become accustomed to how sentences are constructed.

You buy a book titled something like "Basic English Grammar" and you work through it systematically. Or you find websites that provide the same.
Somewhere near the beginning will be a section on how to form questions in English, as well as all the other basic structures. Unless you are constantly interacting in English with someone, you cannot learn a language by picking up lines from movies or newspapers. Some exceptional people can do this, but you have demonstrated and conceded that you are not one of them.

Thanks for all who replied me.
I found a website that provide english beginner lessons. (I`m not sure if it`s okay to publish it here)
Also I`m reading an israeli website that provide content in english.
-I know @emsr2d2
said above I`m not ready to write stories, But I think it will help me to express my self more,
in addition it will help me to build a questions currently, and to speak more smoothly. (Even short stories)
Reply me with your thoughts!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.