Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
What is the difference in meaning between bacteria, virus and germs?

I have referred to dictionaries and they seem to mean the same.

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
What is the difference in meaning between bacteria, virus and germs?

I have referred to dictionaries and they seem to mean the same.

Thanks.

This is not really a language question, it's a medical/scientific question. They are all organisms that cause disease.

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
This is not really a language question, it's a medical/scientific question. They are all organisms that cause disease.

Viruses are usually not considered to be organisms.

However, I agree that this is not a language question, so if Tan Elaine wants to know more about this subject matter, he/she should consult a science textbook or ask this question on a science message board.

abaka

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Although as Bhaisahab said there are strict medical differences between the terms "bacterium", "virus", and "germ", in common usage "germs" refers to any unseen cause of infection or illness.

PS. As far as I can make out, a bacterium is a single-celled lifeform that reproduces by fusion, a virus is a sub-cellular "life"-form which replicates from genetic material within the nucleus of the cell it infects (it is a matter of debate whether it is alive or not), and a germ is the single cell or assembly of cells from which a multi-celled organism, such as a tree or a human being, grows.

Last edited:

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
OK, what are they considered to be? I'm not a scientist, so perhaps you can enlighten me.

Viruses do not fit into the most accepted definition of a living organism because an isolated virus is not able to replicate its genes or regenerate its supply of ATP. The reason I said "usually", is because not everyone accepts this definition of an organism, though this is the most standard view that is taught in biology classes. Bacteria are organisms, but viruses are not. A virus is basically an infectious particle consisting of little more than genes packeged in a protein coat.

Status
Not open for further replies.