Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
Alan Turing - most commonly remembered as the guy who enabled the "Bombe" (a device deciphering germany's enigma-encrypted radio messages in WWII) and less commonly titled the father of theoretical computer science - was pardonned by the British Queen on Christmas Eve.

(please find said pardon here: http://cryptome.org/2013/12/turing-pardon.pdf )

It starts as following:
ELIZABETH THE SECOND, by the Grace of God of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Our other Realms and Territories QUEEN, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, To all to whom it these Presents shall come,
Greeting!

I just do not understand what that means, "to all to whom it these Presents shall come" and would appreciate it if somebody could clear that up for me.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I just do not understand what that means, "to all to whom it these Presents shall come" and would appreciate it if somebody could clear that up for me.
You're in good company- most native speakers would not understand this either. When I first saw know all men by these presents in a rent contract, I had to look it up.

User1291

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Switzerland
Current Location
Switzerland
PRESENTS. This word signifies the writing then actually made and spoken of; as, these presents; know all men by these presents, to all to whom these presents shall come.
A Law Dictionary, Adapted to the Constitution and Laws of the United States. By John Bouvier. Published 1856.
Presents legal definition of Presents. Presents synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.
So basically "to whomever reads this"?
Much obliged.

You're in good company- most native speakers would not understand this either. When I first saw know all men by these presents in a rent contract, I had to look it up.
In a rent contract? That's hilarious. By wording I would have expected a royal decree.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The "it" seems like it doesn't belong there to me.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
In a rent contract? That's hilarious. By wording I would have expected a royal decree.

It was a rent contract in the Philippines - I haven't seen it used in the UK - so it may be a preserved form that has largely fallen into disuse elsewhere, other than royal decrees.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It was a rent contract in the Philippines - I haven't seen it used in the UK - so it may be a preserved form that has largely fallen into disuse elsewhere, other than royal decrees.

Perhaps lawyers call these things "presents" because they are things they can make money arguing about. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.