Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
Hello!

I would like to ask for your help with an essay I've written. The exercise is the following:

Some people think that children who spend a lot of time reading children's story books are wasting theri time which could be better used doing other more useful activities.​

To what extent do you agree?​

My answer is below.

Essay: Reading at early age

Some people believe reading is a waste of time and children should do more useful activities instead. I completely disagree with this notion. I think the love for books and reading is one of the most important interest any parent could pass onto their child.

First of all, let me clarify my standpoint, I don't think all reading is equal and devouring books without selection is a positive attitude. I also don't think that only reading should be encouraged at young age, of course, there are a lot of other interest and hobbies a child can chase and benefit from it later on, for example, regular exercise.

With that said I do think that reading is important, in order to be successful in life we have to read and understand a large array of texts both through school and work and generally in life. Those who read a lot tend to also read faster, understand the meaning of texts better and be able to draw conclusions quickly. This skill gives them a competitive edge in all aspects of life. Furthermore, despite the wide range of tools available to us, highly successful people still, both recommend reading and read themselves. From Warren Buffet through Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg to Elon Musk, all known to read an enormous amount of books through the year. Meaning, even though they have a very busy schedule, they still find the time to read. It is for a good reason too, reading about topics like politics, economy, IT trends or anything related to their profession, makes them knowledgeable, thus allowing them to recognise patterns, find talent and be creative like no-one else.

All in all, I think the above proves that reading is an extremely outstanding activity, therefore, it should be started as a child to enjoy the long-term benefits it has on one's life.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
When are you going to submit your essay to your teacher/tutor for marking/grading?

rock-onn

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I completely disagree with this notion.​
(This sentence is too short for an essay. It is good to write a combination of simple and complex sentence in an essay, but a simple sentence should not be too short.)

I also don't think that only reading should be encouraged at young age, of course, there are a lot of other interest and hobbies a child can chase and benefit from it later on, for example, regular exercise. ( It is too long sentence. Keep one argument in a sentence. In your sentence, you have brought two arguments: reading should be encouraged, child can chase other interests)

Also, you have repeated the same phrase 'I think' again and again ; you should avoid such repetition in an essay.

Just follow the structure below for the conclusion paragraph.

- First sentence: This restates your position, and typically starts with "In conclusion,"
- One or two sentences summarizing the findings from your body paragraphs.

I am not an expert nor a native speaker.

Last edited by a moderator:

reifm

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Hungary
Current Location
Hungary
When are you going to submit your essay to your teacher/tutor for marking/grading?

Hi emsr2d2,

Sorry for the late answer, I just started a new job and I had a lot on my plate the last couple of weeks. I don't exactly understand what you mean, I don't have a tutor right now, I try to study on my own for the time being.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
OK, that's fine. We always check that users' posts are not homework or an assignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.