Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Hello.

Are 'they' and 'these' always used as they are given in the book? Or is it possible to use ''these'' instead of ''they'' someyimes?

A.What are the these/they?

They/these are lions.

B.What are these? (do you use 'they' when referring to inanimate things?

These are chairs.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"What are these?", "What are those?" and "What are they?" are all possible depending on the context.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I thought these sentences are based on the rule that if you are talking about animals you can either use ''these'' or ''they'', and if you are talking about inanimate things only ''these'' and never ''they'' should be used.

J

J&K Tutoring

The spoken emphasis- shown in bold type- is important.

1. What are these? (something near me) or What are those? (something away from me) I am indicating something to someone else. We are discussing them for the first time.
1a. What are they? (things either near or far that we both have already acknowledged) This sentence often comes after something like: 'Do you see these/those?' In this case, I hope that the listener can help me understand what the things are. 'Do you see those things? What are they?'

1b. I wouldn't say, 'What are they?' as I pointed to something for the first time.

It's interesting you used the example of lions. "These are lions" tends to indicate we are close to the lions, and I don't care to be close to lions! In my tutoring on the subject of these/those, I use the sentence: _______ dogs are close to us. The logical choice is these, but what if you are afraid of dogs? Even dogs away from us (those) might seem too close, so the speaker might say Those dogs are close to us.

It doesn't matter if the thing in question is an animal or an inanimate object.
2. I saw those things when I walked in the room. What are they? They are spoons.
3. We are in the market together. I point and say, 'What are those?' You reply, 'They/those are eels.'

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I thought these sentences are based on the rule that if you are talking about animals you can either use ''these'' or ''they'', and if you are talking about inanimate things only ''these'' and never ''they'' should be used.

Where did you read/hear that "rule"? It's nonsense.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

That has to be one of the most preposterous rules I've ever heard. Did a teacher really tell you that?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
if you are talking about inanimate things only ''these'' and never ''they'' should be used.

If you are talking about inanimate things, use it for the singular and they for the plural. You can use this/that/these/those when appropriate, but there's nothing wrong with they at all.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
No. No one told me that. I was judging by the examples given in the book. In each question the book uses:''these''(what are these?) and in asnwers:''they''(they are lions, books, etc). The book I am talking about is Oxoford Discover for children.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
If you are talking about inanimate things, use it for the singular and they for the plural. You can use this/that/these/those when appropriate, but there's nothing wrong with they at all.

And if I am talking about animals. Are all the forms appropriate? ''this/that/these/those and they''.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And if I am talking about animals, are all the forms appropriate - ''this/that/these/those and they''?

Yes, they are all perfectly usable for animals (and for non-animals).

I'm curious. If you believe that "they" can't be used for animals, what word would you put in the space in the second sentence below?

I can see six horses. ________ are all black.

The only disagreement that occurs sometimes between native speakers is whether we can use "who" for animals. I would say "I have a cat who loves tuna". Some people would say that it should be expressed as "I have a cat that loves tuna". I tend to see animals like humans - living beings with likes, dislikes, personalities etc, so I use "who". People who see animals as things prefer "that".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Yes, they are all perfectly usable for animals (and for non-animals).

I'm curious. If you believe that "they" can't be used for animals, what word would you put in the space in the second sentence below?

I can see six horses. __these______ are all black. It was just my humble opinion, as I said I was judging by the book examples.

The only disagreement that occurs sometimes between native speakers is whether we can use "who" for animals. I would say "I have a cat who loves tuna". Some people would say that it should be expressed as "I have a cat that loves tuna". I tend to see animals like humans - living beings with likes, dislikes, personalities etc, so I use "who". People who see animals as things prefer "that".
I think even if it was wrong to use 'who' when talking about them, I would still use it. I don't understand those who see them as things. Thank you, for your explanation.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Well, life should be much simpler for you now that you know you can use "they/them" for all plural nouns!

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Oh, no. Not yet. :-DI didn't ask if I can use them all when talking about people. ''They are French students'', I know it's correct but ''these/those are French students''? This/that/it's a French student. Are they all corect too?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
1b. I wouldn't say, 'What are they?' as I pointed to something for the first time. Maybe that's why the book uses ''what are these in its questions''? And that's what I meant when I said perhaps there is a rule.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No. No one told me that. I was judging by the examples given in the book. In each question the book uses:''these''(what are these?) and in asnwers:''they''(they are lions, books, etc). The book I am talking about is Oxoford Discover for children.
Try not to make up your own rules just because something isn't there.
"The cats' names are Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme." You cannot make up a rule from that that you can't call your cat Basil.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The only disagreement that occurs sometimes between native speakers is whether we can use "who" for animals.

Many use she and he for pets.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Many use she and he for pets.

I'm one of those people. And not just for pets - for wild animals too (when I know the gender, of course).

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Could anyone please answer my question in the post #14? I would be very grateful to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.