Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In consequence, I'm inclined to reserve all judgments, a habit that has opened up many curious natures to me and also made me the victim of not a few veteran bores. The abnormal mind is quick to detect and attach itself to this quality when it appears in a normal person, and so it came about that in college I was unjustly accused of being a politician, because I was privy to the secret griefs of wild, unknown men. Most of the confidences were unsought-frequently I have feigned sleep, preoccupation, or a hostile levity when I realized by some unmistakable sign that an intimate revelation was quivering on the horizon; for the intimate revelations of young men, or at least the terms in which they express them, are usually plagiaristic and marred by obvious suppressions.

Source: The Great Gatsby http://www.publicbookshelf.com/ficti...er-vulnerable

Hello my friends,

I know the meanings of each word in the blue written part but I can't understand it as a whole.
Would you please be nice enough to paraphrase it to me?

Many thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
If you know the meaning of each word, what is your best guess at the meaning of the phrase?
Marred by obvious suppressions = spoiled by clear stop
In spite of knowing the meanings I can't understand what it says to me.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Marred by obvious suppressions = spoiled by clear stop
In spite of knowing the meanings I can't understand what it says to me.
I agree with Mike in another post. If you need to ask about every sentence, you're taking on material that is too advanced for you.

sb70012

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I agree with Mike in another post. If you need to ask about every sentence, you're taking on material that is too advanced for you.
Thanks for answering. I have to read it because it's suggested to us by our university. I myself hate the book but we students are forced to read it because it's suggested by the university. After some days I will also give a lecture about the plot of the story.
I wish the teachers would suggest us another book.

MikeNewYork

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Source: The Great Gatsby http://www.publicbookshelf.com/ficti...er-vulnerable

Hello my friends,

I know the meanings of each word in the blue written part but I can't understand it as a whole.
Would you please be nice enough to paraphrase it to me?

Many thanks.

For me, "marred by obvious suppressions" means that the young men did not provide all the intimate details of their encounters.

Status
Not open for further replies.