Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Our family includes 50,000 plus members which belong / belongs to high end segment

Family is colective noun, but in the above sentence belong is iin agreement with the verb members, which is the subject. hence It should take belong..Kindly correct me if I am wrong

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Our family includes 50,000 plus members which belong / belongs to high end segment

Family is colective noun, but in the above sentence belong is iin agreement with the verb members, which is the subject. hence It should take belong..Kindly correct me if I am wrong

This is a sentential relative clause where the relative pronoun referes back to the whole preceding clause and introduces a new clause that evaluates its meaning. The fact that our family includes ... belongs... .

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

You are right, "belong" is correct, but you should change "which" to "who" and put "the" before "high end segment".

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
What is the antecedent of 'which', Bhai, IYO? What does the word 'which' refer to?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
What is the antecedent of 'which', Bhai, IYO?

"Who" refers to "50,000 plus members". It could be rewritten as "Our family, which includes 50,000 plus members , belongs to the high end segment".

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Who? Where is one 'who' in the sentence? I was talking about 'which'.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Who? Where is one 'who' in the sentence? I was talking about 'which'.

In the original sentence "which" is referring to "50,000 plus members" which IMO is incorrect. In my rewrite it is referring to "our family".

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
IMHO, "which belongs to high end segment" is a nominal clause functioning as an (adverbial) (evaluative) disjunct.

How does the fact that "Our family includes 50,000 plus members" make it belong to "the high end segment"? I suppose it depends what is meant by "high end segment".

The fact that the family comprises x members puts them in the high and segment.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
IMHO, "which belongs to high end segment" is a nominal clause functioning as an (adverbial) (evaluative) disjunct.
Grammatically, yes, but what does it mean?

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Grammatically, yes, but what does it mean?

The disjunct is syntactically detached from the sentence. It is added to the sentence to comment on the content of the preceding clause (as I already mentioned).

Mind you, I am not trying to blow a hole in your argument but trying to defend mine.

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
And the sentence needs a comma to set of the disjunct from the rest of the sentence.

mxreader

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

IMHO,

Our family, which includes 50,000 plus members, belongs to a high end segment....

Kondorosi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Relative pronouns always refer to a preceding noun. The noun that the relative pronoun refers to will always be the noun which comes immediately before the relative pronoun.

---> which ≠ our family

in

Our family includes 50,000 plus members, which belongs to a high end segment... .

new2grammar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Punjabi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You are right, "belong" is correct, but you should change "which" to "who" and put "the" before "high end segment".

Thanks for your help. Kindly tell me is is using 'which' is grammatically incorrect?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thanks for your help. Kindly tell me is is using 'which' is grammatically incorrect?

If you are referring to the 50,000 plus members, "who" is better.

Status
Not open for further replies.