[Essay] Globalization does more good than harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EDarcy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Globalization is mainly an economic process but it also has social and culture aspects. This worldwide phenomenon has both supporters and enemies.

On the one hand, globalization is supposed to remove barriers and guarantee equal access to sources. However, the non-supporters of the process do not think so. What is more, there are people whose opinion is that globalization makes the rich richer and the poor – poorer. For example, managers and the people of business are becoming wealthier and wealthier while their workers are oppressed by unfair work conditions, low salaries and high taxes.

On the other hand, ironically, the main positive consequence of the globalization is the flourishing of world Economy. Globalization creates condition for solving some of the most serious problems of modern society. Thanks to the free trade more jobs are created, companies become more competitive and consumers buy what they need in lower prices. In this way, problems such as poverty and unemployment are partly solved. What is more, globalization provides opportunities for poor countries to develop their economy by using new technologies and foreign capitals.

In addition, globalization is the reason for the increasing interaction between people. The process of globalization removes the boundaries that exist between human beings and therefore facilitate the communication between them. For example, culture or language differences are not so important today. People are more likely to understand each other because of the globalization and the modern methods of communication. The positive consequence of that is that people learn how to respect each other’s traditions and how to converse without quarreling. As a consequence, differences can be overcome more easily thanks to the Globalization.

In conclusion, globalization is a process which influences our lives mainly in a positive way. In spite of its non-supporters and disadvantages, this process has made a lot for our society. The economic growth and the facilitated interaction between people overshadow the negative features of Globalization. In other words, I agree that Globalization has given more to our world and society than it has taken from them.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Globalization is mainly an economic process, but it also has social and cultural aspects. This worldwide phenomenon has both supporters and opponents.

Please note corrections.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you have any facts to support your opinions?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

The goal of globalization is to remove barriers to trade. However, its opponents do not agree that it will do that.

EDarcy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
What kind of facts? Like statistics, scientific facts or something else?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A lot of the terms used are rather vague. For example, it is hard to tell what "equal access to sources" means. (Perhaps you mean resources.) Also, rather than non-supporters say opponents.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

Thanks to free trade, more jobs are created, companies become more competitive, and consumers buy what they need at lower prices.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

What is more, globalization provides opportunities for poor countries to develop their economies by using new technologies and foreign capital.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Poverty is the default human condition. It's prosperity that needs to be explained.
~Thomas Sowell

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

The main positive consequence of globalization is the flourishing of the world economy. Globalization creates conditions for solving some of the most serious problems of modern society.

You are right when you don't put "the" before "globalization".

Nine out of ten times we say "people" rather than "human beings".

It is unclear to me what you think globalization is.

You use a lot of empty phrases. Is that to increase the word count?

EDarcy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Yes, it is. I need 300-350 words.

EDarcy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Because it is a sample exam essay topic. I have only 4o minutes and I do not think I will have enough time to write everything I know about a particular question in the best possible way.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Interesting. So you can take either side?

EDarcy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
What do yo mean by 'either side'? I can choose if I partly agree with a particular statement, or disagree completely or agree completely. These are the options.

EDarcy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
But I thought I can include opinions for both of the sides in an essay. Am I wrong?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You can state what both sides are but still say which side you agree with. (Professor Williams does it all the time. (Dr. Sowell used to write a weekly column, but he retired about a year ago.))

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Maybe you could post just one paragraph at a time. It would be easier for me that way. Also, it might be helpful for you to read Bassim's stories and my corrections/suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.