Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi, what is the meaning of these sentences?

1. "John took Tom to open the locked door."
2. "John took 5 spacewalks to fix the lenses of the telescope."
3. "John took 5 spacewalkers to fix the lenses of the telescope."

I mean do the verb "took" mean differently in the above 2 sentences? and are the 3 sentences correct :?:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi, what is the meaning of these sentences?

1. "John took Tom to open the locked door."
2. "John took 5 spacewalks to fix the lenses of the telescope."
3. "John took 5 spacewalkers to fix the lenses of the telescope."

I mean do the verb "took" mean differently in the above 2 sentences? and are the 3 sentences correct :?:

In sentence 1, "took" means that John accompanied Tom to the locked door, so that Tom could open the locked door.
In sentence 3, "took" means that John accompanied 5 other spacewalkers.
In sentence 2, "took" means "made" or "went on". John walked in space 5 times to fix the lenses.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does it help you to know that it is common to say "I took a walk" or "I will take a walk" to mean "I went for a walk" or "I will go for a walk"?

In the US, we also "take" a shower. That means we bathe. It does not mean we toted a shower stall around with us.

zohreh250250

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi, thanks a lot. In your post I faced with a question. I'd appreciete if you answer it also. As you said:

In sentence 1, "took" means that John accompanied Tom to the locked door, so that Tom could open the locked door.
In sentence 3, "took" means that John accompanied 5 other spacewalkers.
In sentence 2, "took" means "made" or "went on". John walked in space 5 times to fix the lenses.

My problem is with the third one. If the third sentence mean John accompanied 5 other spacewalkers. so in the following sentence does it mean that "the astronauts accompanied 5 other spacewalkers?
"
the astronauts accompanied 5 other spacewalkers to fix the optics of the telescope" Because someone in this forum said that it is not correct grammatically and the meaning will not be correct either. It confused my mind. please help.
Thanks a lot

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Zohreh, you are still sneaking in questions about spacewalks and spacewalkers. It doesn't matter how many times you ask these questions, the answers will still be the same as those you received in the original threads. Please stop wasting your time and ours trying to get a different answer.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Zohreh, you are still sneaking in questions about spacewalks and spacewalkers. It doesn't matter how many times you ask these questions, the answers will still be the same as those you received in the original threads. Please stop wasting your time and ours trying to get a different answer.

For others' info, the OP has sent me 4 PMs about the same topic but has now, as requested, gone back to posting on the forum. Apologies for not being aware that the question had been asked and answered already.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If zohreh has been sending PMs as well as starting several threads, then it's time to call a halt. This thread is now closed. So, for the foreseeable future, is the topic of space walks.

Status
Not open for further replies.