Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What is the following in red saying? And what does "the original" refer to?

London Bridge was sold as a tourist attraction to a US property developer for 1.6 million pounds in 1968. Despite popular myth, it is apparently not true that the buyer thought he was getting Tower Bridge. It is hard to evaluate whether this price was a good deal for the buyer---it turned out he had to build his own bridge anyway and could use only the marble stone facing from the original---

Thank you.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
not a teacher

The "facing" is the outside surface of the structure. So the buyer had to build a new bridge and then apply the marble surface from the original.

unpakwon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The "facing" is the outside surface of the structure. So the buyer had to build a new bridge and then apply the marble surface from the original.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the answer.
Then the "facing" is a noun. I thought it was a present participle.
And I'm still confused about "from the original". Does it mean "from the start?" It doesn't seem so.
Or does it refer to "original London Bridge"? It sounds strange, too. Confusing.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The "facing" is the outside surface of the structure. So the buyer had to build a new bridge and then apply the marble surface from the original.

Thank you for the answer.
Then the "facing" is a noun. I thought it was a present participle.
And I'm still confused about "from the original". Does it mean "from the start?" It doesn't seem so.
Or does it refer to "original London Bridge"? It sounds strange, too. Confusing.

Yes, from the original London Bridge.

Last edited by a moderator:

unpakwon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thank you for the help.

So is it saying "the buyer built a new bridge in somewhere else (maybe not in London) and removed the marble surface from the original London Bridge and applied it to his new bridge?"

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thank you for the help.

So is it saying "the buyer built a new bridge in somewhere else (maybe not in London) and removed the marble surface from the original London Bridge and applied it to his new bridge?"
Yes! That is exactly what happened. I'm sure you will enjoy learning more about this bridge.

Cheers,
A4

Status
Not open for further replies.