Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
What's relationship between these three concepts, Approximative system, Interlanguage and Idiosyncratic system?

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Would you please answer my question?

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,
What's relationship between these three concepts, Approximative system, Interlanguage and Idiosyncratic system?

Hi,
(not a teacher...)
I hope other posters will answer this. To me it sounds more of a shift of emphasis. I believe "Interlanguage" refers to the whole linguistic system which has features from both first and target languages. "Approximative system", while refering to the same phenomenon, emphasises the gradual completion, or better to say approximation of this intermediate system towards the target language. And, "Idiosyncratic system", while again taking the idea of Interlanguage for granted, emphasises the uniqueness of this system to each individual learner. I hope some posters will shed more light on this issue and correct the misinterpretation of mine in case they think so. Thanks.

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi, Mehrgan
Thanks for your reply. I enjoy reading your posts; they help me out.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi, Mehrgan
Thanks for your reply. I enjoy reading your posts; they help me out.

Hi,
Most kind! Sure we can help each other (sorry for my limited knowledge, anyway!)...Cheers! :up:

chester_100

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

Mehrgan has a point.

As you may remember, I've already mentioned both Interlanguage and Idiosyncrasy in other posts.

Approximate system was first hypothesized by Nemser, and emphasizes the continual development of language through systematic stages. What a learner learns may undergo modifications and may be restructured gradually. The main difference between interlanguage and Aproximate system hypothesis lies in the fact that the former believes the learner's language is a phenomenon between the first and second languages (intermediate status), while the latter emphasizes the dynamic essence of the learner's language (transitional and developmental) .

The theory of Idiosyncratic dialect, proposed by Pit Corder, maintains that each learner possesses her particular and unique system of language. language of poems, aphasic speech, and peculiarities of an infant's language learning his mother tongue all fall into this category. A learner's sentences may be well-formed, but idiosyncratic (covert), or may be superficially ill-formed (overt). If the case is something other than the two conditions, the learner's language will be considered to be non-idiosyncratic, which is an acceptable state.

Matters beyond the language-learner's mother tongue usually come to play; for example, the subject matter and the manner of teaching are thought to be effective, according to this theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.