Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
teacher's role or teacher role?
I have seen lots of structures (possessive) like this. Are both of them correct?

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
After 100 posts, you should know by now that we need to see a phrase in context to give a good answer.

skystar30097

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks for your kind reply. Sorry for bothering you

bye for ever

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That seems a bit overly dramatic.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There seems to be a glut of melodrama here recently.

anhnha

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
May I ask a question about this topic?
I have just seen two sentences bellow:
1. A teacher's role is to develop curiosity in the students and to teach them to think for themselves and feel the excitement of discovery.
2. She adjusts her teacher role by directing students to listen to each other using comments such as " Did you hear what Philip said about the use of octaves in the glockenspiel? Philip will you repeat that for the class, please?".
What is the difference between teacher's role and teacher role in above sentences?

HanibalII

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Would you care to elaborate?

I have before, and it did not end well. I only stated both sides are guilty of said behaviour, because they are.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have before, and it did not end well. I only stated both sides are guilty of said behaviour, because they are.
Perhaps you would care to elaborate in a PM to a moderator then.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have reposted anhnha's question to remind us what this thread is about:
1. A teacher's role is to develop curiosity in the students and to teach them to think for themselves and feel the excitement of discovery.
2. She adjusts her teacher role by directing students to listen to each other using comments such as " Did you hear what Philip said about the use of octaves in the glockenspiel? Philip will you repeat that for the class, please?".
What is the difference between teacher's role and teacher role in above sentences?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

The first is meant as a summation of the entire role, the second is not all that a teacher does, but a strategy to achieve the aims of a teacher IMO.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Thank you. With a context, we can answer.

In the first one, it's general/generic. An elephant is the largest land mammal. A teacher's role is... There would be no change in meaning if you changed it to "The."

In the second one, I would not have written it that way. I'd say either "her role as teacher" or even "her teaching approach."

In truth, I don't find "teacher role" to be very natural and I couldn't think of a natural sentence for it when I saw the first post. But there have been so many times when I've said "I can't think of a time when this would work" only to have perfectly good and natural examples given as a rebuttal. Hence, my request for context.

Status
Not open for further replies.